G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past I've used #19 Atlas track nails to represent carriage bolt heads or rivets. In the 10-12 years since I bought my supply, Atlas changed the heads on the track nails to a flat head. I'm looking for a round head nail 1.75mm or .069 in diameter. Does anyone have a source?

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is this suggestion any help? I use common household dressmaker pins, these have a head size of approx 1.35 to 1.45 and the pin is .7 to .8 thick. I use these and just cut the long pin off for bigger head sizes I haven't found anything else in the 1.7mm plus head size range, maybe try fabric/dressmaker/craft shops as that's where I find suitable scale chain in the jewellery section and also pins.
Russell

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Another possibility is escutcheon pins often sold by woodworking supplies to attach small hardware to wood boxes. The listings give length and diameter but not head size. Also some have flat heads but most are round. Northeast Narrow Gauge kits (the drawings that used to come in Garden Railways magazine) used to have them for the purposes you state.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a fellow on GSC who used 1/2 round beads that looked pretty good 2mm half round nail art gems. £1.25 for 1000 Inc postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-HAL...hash=item5466db3fc7:m:maZBgAeONQuTEzhRjLuxILw Rik, I used nails for a while then bird shot but nothing quick and easy. Found these air plane rivets in Russia of all places that work pretty good at lease they are easy to install and get straight then add a drop of gel super glue on top for depth and he will make them any size but the are flat http://www.nsmodelers.rs/mirce-finish-set---rivets, picture is some of the mirce ones with super glue and paint added

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Dan;

They may not fit your needs, but Micro Mark does offer rivet "decals" with a choice of head sizes. The "rivets" are actually raised from the surface of the decal sheet.

Yours,
David Meashey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts