G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if Rio Grande Models U.K. is still in business in any form at all? This is the guy(s) who built replacement sides for AMS cars to customize them into (mostly) D&RGW cars. Steve Stockham did a couple of threads way back in 2010 & 2011 about building their baggage car & RPO kits.

Their web site is still up, but it references Jonathan Bliese’s “Electric Steam Model Works” as their U.S. distributor, and he’s been retired for a few years now. I sent an email to the contact address, but it bounced.

Is there any chance this fellow is still building stuff informally, or am I just six years too late to the party?

Sigh...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've tried to contact him through FB. No dice. I've heard through the FB that he will do runs of 6 or more, but since I've had no replies from him, who knows?

Robert

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Gary,
I think you're late to the party (just as I am :(). I've sent quite a few emails to him in the past couple of years and they bounced back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
dave gormley stopped making kits to concentrate on his garden center buisness

a couple of years ago i had seven coach sides made for a friend and myself,,, this was to use up the sheet material so little waste

as far as i know he will make kits but had little time to do the posting etc,,

i will ask him if he will again consider a one of run ,,,, as far as i know any think on his site is available apart

from the gunison plow metal plow bit,, any thing wooden was available as the program's were still in his

computer, i will say the cost would be quite a bit more now as the materials etc have gone up

will post back when i get a response from him

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it would be interesting to see if Dave Gormley was up to making more -- I've always been partial to wood.

But Pete, thanks for reminding me about the GAL LINE. I think I may have found my birthday present to self this year :)

In general, I think the idea of making replacement sides for the Accucraft coaches is brilliantly simple. And with CNC & laser cutters becoming cheaper & more accurate, I'm surprised somebody hasn't published CAD drawings for DIY projects.

Thanks all for your help.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Well, it would be interesting to see if Dave Gormley was up to making more -- I've always been partial to wood.

But Pete, thanks for reminding me about the GAL LINE. I think I may have found my birthday present to self this year :)

In general, I think the idea of making replacement sides for the Accucraft coaches is brilliantly simple. And with CNC & laser cutters becoming cheaper & more accurate, I'm surprised somebody hasn't published CAD drawings for DIY projects.

Thanks all for your help.
Gary,

I believe the last time that David Gormley and I discussed the wood replacements sides for the AMS J&S cars (2011-2012), he was having some difficulty obtaining the marine grade ply he was using. He was having "fits" with warpage with the ply and his laser machine. He was really frustrated at that time and the extra time spent away from his gardening business was causing him "problems".

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I'm afraid that I may have been one of the last customers! Part of the problem was that these kits were almost as expensive as a new AMS car! (Boy, they sure were fun to build though!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts