G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nice video!! I like how it crosses between the hot tub and the pool!

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Thanks for the ride!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gee February and you can see the water in the pool!!! My pool looks like Lake Ladoga during the siege of Leningrad. I could put tracks across the ice but spring would make for a bit of a problem.
Nice video.
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Thanks for the ride, it was fun! When the train goes between the hot tub and pool a derailment would be not so fun, but then again a little bit of danger makes it a bit thrilling too.

·
Super Modulator
21,004 Posts
Nice video Randy!

A couple of questions: what resolution does your camera record in and what model? I'm researching what I need to buy and your video came out great.

Second, I see an entire half of the pool that has no track? What's up with that? (ha ha ha).

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
811 Posts
Greg, get a flash RAM camera of some kind.

MiniDV works but is obsolete and usually needs FireWire to stream the result

DVD or MiniDVD, the media is either too big or too expensive for the recording time available

HD, IMHO hard disks and mobile devices don't mix well. The disks cannot take the shocks it will get

The cameras with smaller sensors usually can be found with longer optical zooms, easier to implement with a small sensor

The cameras with larger sensors (usually better cameras) are typically limited to 10x or so zoom

CMOS sensors often do not "expose" the whole sensor at once, the image is recorded as a "wipe" across the sensor. This messes with some image stabilization techniques, especially ones applied after the fact as different parts of the same frame are actually recorded at different times

Find one that does GOOD stills too. That way you only carry one camera. The recent really good DSLR type cameras that do video are just too big to carry around.

I have a old Sony miniDV camera that I won't replace until it breaks because I haven't found anything significantly better.

Some video from that camera is at http://www.girr.org/girr/video/GIRR_Loop_with_Camcorder.mov but you'll need some codec that will do h.264 to view it. I recommend QuickTime if you don't have a suitable codec, available free for Mac or PC at http://www.apple.com/downloads/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That was a lot of fun.

A bit scary in places too. Right at the beginning I thought we were going to have a head on with that Annie (I think it's an Annie). And then the hot tub/pool curve was really fun. No guard rails or anything. And then there was the giant dog

Such fun. Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg

Cannon PowerShot SD700is
Digital Elph
6.0 Mega Pixels
4x15 Zoom Lens
5.8-23.2mm 1:2.8-5.5
Image Stabilizer

The video was done at 15 frames per second with the resolution set at 640x480. That ended up at 87,237 KB. I originally took the video at 30 frames per second and the file was 201,890 KB. Straight on there really wasn't any difference between 15 & 30, but as the camera recorded going around the turns, the video became choppy. The resolution can also be set at 320x240 which I have not tried. I believe the picture would not be as good. Also, I didn't have the zoom pulled in any.

For under 300 bucks it's a great camera. I like it because it is small yet has a large monitor screen and it takes pictures fast. My old Fuji 500 took for ever to reset so you could take the next picture.

I've had this camera for two years and yesterday was the first time I ever took a video with it.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Great video. The sound was great also. almost real. I think I'd put up a net at the hot tub. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
It's just his way of keeping his equipment clean.
Management insist on clean. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The little white dog seems to be a fixture.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stan, the track is just laying in place on the pavers. Hasn't seemed to move around any. I did attach the pcs with the little screw and some track clamps here and there.

Dave, the dog is a Westie and her name is Gidget.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts