G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Fuller took the following picture of a RGS #14 0-6-0T on Saturday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/diamondheadsteamup/20090117Saturday#5292379958099847506

For the benefit of those who could not make this years event, would the scratch builder of this little gem please identify yourself and take credit for this beautiful work.

As this is one of my future bash build projects primarily using Accucraft C-16 components, I would highly appreciate being directed to more pictures of your model and would specifically like to know if you cut your own frame and rods or if this was outsorced.

I still lack these components but have completed detailed Acad drawings for possible CNC machining. Obviously I would be highly interested if you happened to cut an extra set when you built you model. I always attempt to collect all needed parts or materials before starting a project.

Perhaps I missed it, but I would have thought details about this beautiful work would have already been posted.

Regards,

Tom Burns
RGS in Live Steam

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I remember seeing this locomotive, but I did not know what it was. Now of course I wish I had paid closer attention to it.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
RE: RGS/D&RG 0-6-0T Class 48 at Diamondhead

The loco was built by Rob Lenicheck, have seen it in person at the NSS this past July. Thing of beauty, and runs as well as it looks. Rob is active on the forums, or at least has an account here

·
Registered
301 Posts
RE: RGS/D&RG 0-6-0T Class 48 at Diamondhead

There is a glimpse of the loco running in Carl Weaver's Diamondhead video #2 in this forum, right before the Schools

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Yea, the model is mine. I spent about a year building it and everything except the stack, pilot light, bell and pressure gauge were scratched. I drew the entire model up in 3D CAD (Solidworks) which really helped with making sure all the parts were correct before I started cutting chips. Since this is my first attempt at scratching a live-steamer it's a simple machine: gas fired, single flu, slip eccentric valve gear.

Tom,
I machined the frames myself out of 1/8" mild steel. It's a real pain in the behind but not that hard to do. I didn't make any extras...

Rob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob,

Thanks for the response. It never hurts to ask about possible extra parts which I avidly collect.

If for what ever reason you are some day tempted to place this little gem on the back tables of Diamondhead, consider contacting me first. I probably have something of mutual interest to trade including that green stuff which seems to be in shorter supply to many at this moment. On the other hand, it seems my larger equipment particularly a near new K-28 is collecting far too much dust and does not fit well with my focus on RGS prototypes.

Tom Burns
RGS in Live Steam

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Thanks, Kevin. Yea, as soon as the paint fairy comes by some night while I'm snoring it'll get painted.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts