G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been reading about Revolution's DCC system. It may be my total lack of DCC knowledge, but it seems this is a rather simple and intuitive platform.
Does anyone on this board have any experience with it?
Thank you,
Aflyer

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Hi all,
I have been reading about Revolution's DCC system. It may be my total lack of DCC knowledge, but it seems this is a rather simple and intuitive platform.
Does anyone on this board have any experience with it?
Thank you,
Aflyer
Step back - watch for the rush . . . I think there are lots of people here who run Revolution r/c, and I think they would agree it is one of the simpler systems.
I have one in my 2-6-0 and it works well, but I have to say I got the whole thing pre-wired from Kevin, who took it out of an existing (working) rig. So I have not had to configure one, yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete,
LOL, the rush seems to happen with several of my questions, and it's never Forum specific.
I did find some additional information, and am pretty sure Revolution is the way I will go. For a small railroad, with a small roster, I don't think it makes sense to invest in Digitrax or the like.
Do you know what sound board Kevin installed? I an looking at the Soundtraxx boards hoping that is the right solution for the Aristo U25B as well as the spectrum C-19.
Thanks again for all you help,
George

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
There are many manufacturers of DCC decoders. I have used LGB, Massoth, MRC, Digitrax, ESU, Zimo, Lenz. One needs to understand the difference in binary, octal, decimal and even hex numbering systems to fully use aqll the capabilities of these decoders and understand the respective manuals. I am not trying to scare anyone, just want you all to understand that when someone like me programs a decoder we use this info to make decoders do all the advanced features. I have my zimo decoders doing remote uncoupling with a waltz (standard Kadee coupler [not the kadee $50 unit]with a servo and chain) as well as puffing smoke on a fan driven smoke unit. This in not what everyone wants, just letting you know it can be done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is not what everyone wants, just letting you know it can be done.

Thank you Dan, you are right, I am looking for a more simplified control/sound system. Still learning allot, but want to keep it simple and easy.
Aflyer

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He didn't, actually. The system I got from him was soundless, so I added a MyLocosound board from RCS in Australia. As the AUS$ is running at 1.5 to the US$, they are quite inexpensive - around $60 this week.
https://www.rcs-rc.com/pages/sound

Here's what it sounds like in my 2-6-0:

https://youtu.be/n0iVsQ1B9bk
Pete,
Thank you for the information and the RCS link. I was thinking about the Revolution DCC system, sorry I wasn't clear. Your railroad looks incredible thank you fort sharing.
George

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Are we talking about Revolution DCC (original post) or Revolution R/C (Pete's reply)?

These are two different systems.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Are we talking about Revolution DCC (original post) or Revolution R/C (Pete's reply)?

Now you tell me. Sorry Aflyer - I didn't realize they had produced a DCC version as well as the original TX/RX.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

krs,
I am talking about Revolution DCC, I confused Pete on one of my responses.
I know nothing about DCC and am learning more every day.

My S gauge layout uses conventional A/C track power with Flyer, S Helper and American Models locomotives, and Lionel Legacy on their American Flyer locos. Both co-exist peacefully with each other on the rails.

Thank you,
George

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
George,
If you want a simple and intuitive system as indicated in your first post, I think you want the Revolution R/C system that Pete referred to.
That system is used my many Large Scalers and you can get lots of feedback by searching on mls or if you modify the topic subject.

The Revolution DCC is a later development combining the Revolution R/C from Aristo-Craft to drive a DCC decoder. It theoretically provides much more functionality but is also more expensive and certainly not simple or intuitive.
I don't actually know anyone running Revolution DCC in Large Scale but there obviously must be some.

I would suggest you look at both and based on your requirements, expected features, the number of trains you want to run simultaneously and relative cost, decide which one is for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I know of a few folks who are running the Revolution DCC system and like it, but I have yet to try it personally. I use Airwire controllers to run my DCC decoders via Tam Valley Depot or Airwire "Convertr" receivers at the moment, and will be getting a BlueRail Trains DCC receiver later this Summer for a project I'm working on. The Blue Rail Trains board works with your iPhone (sorry, no Android compatibility).

The biggest "thing" with DCC is learning how to program the decoders. Each manufacturer is different in terms of complexity, and the learning curves vary. Once you get the hang of it, though (no matter the platform you're using to do the programming) you can do some seriously cool things.

Later,

K

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George,
If you want a simple and intuitive system as indicated in your first post, I think you want the Revolution R/C system that Pete referred to.
That system is used my many Large Scalers and you can get lots of feedback by searching on mls or if you modify the topic subject.

The Revolution DCC is a later development combining the Revolution R/C from Aristo-Craft to drive a DCC decoder. It theoretically provides much more functionality but is also more expensive and certainly not simple or intuitive.
I don't actually know anyone running Revolution DCC in Large Scale but there obviously must be some.

I would suggest you look at both and based on your requirements, expected features, the number of trains you want to run simultaneously and relative cost, decide which one is for you.
krs,
Thank you for the above information, I was basically looking at the Revolution DCC because it seemed to be fewer components and DCC capability. I will do some reading and research on their R/C system.
George

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know of a few folks who are running the Revolution DCC system and like it, but I have yet to try it personally. I use Airwire controllers to run my DCC decoders via Tam Valley Depot or Airwire "Convertr" receivers at the moment, and will be getting a BlueRail Trains DCC receiver later this Summer for a project I'm working on. The Blue Rail Trains board works with your iPhone (sorry, no Android compatibility).

The biggest "thing" with DCC is learning how to program the decoders. Each manufacturer is different in terms of complexity, and the learning curves vary. Once you get the hang of it, though (no matter the platform you're using to do the programming) you can do some seriously cool things.

Later,

K
K, thanks again for the additional information.
So far what I have learned is there are far too many options and no clear easy choice.
I will do more reading to learn about the Airwre stuff. I just took a quick look at Blue Rail, I wonder when it will be readily available, I didn't see an actual date.
George

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
The Revolution DCC receiver is very similiar to the Air Wire converter. It is to drive a DCC decoder. These devices are very easy to install in a loco with existing DCC. The prime example today is like a Piko loco that comes with factory DCC, power the receiver with a battery and it will operate the existing DCC, two wires in, two wires out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Revolution DCC receiver is very similiar to the Air Wire converter. It is to drive a DCC decoder. These devices are very easy to install in a loco with existing DCC. The prime example today is like a Piko loco that comes with factory DCC, power the receiver with a battery and it will operate the existing DCC, two wires in, two wires out.
Mike,
Thank you, appreciate the input. I like what I have been reading about the Revolution DCC TX. The Airwire seems good also. And based on some input it sounds like Blue Rail DCC also has some good reports.
As I said somewhere, seems like lots of good choices, I just need to make a decision and get one of them ordered.
Two of the Locos I have are Bachmann and Aristocraft with the PNP motor/sound decoder socket.
Thanks again,
George

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
. . . . The Blue Rail Trains board works with your iPhone (sorry, no Android compatibility). . .

K
Eh? I have the Bluerail app on my [Samsung Android] phone and it drives my Bluerail board nicely. The website says: "BlueRail develops in iOS, and then ports to Android (so iOS control will be available first)."

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Mike,
Thank you, appreciate the input. I like what I have been reading about the Revolution DCC TX. The Airwire seems good also. And based on some input it sounds like Blue Rail DCC also has some good reports. . . .

George
From what I am reading (thanks George,) all the r/c DCC systems work the same way. They have a proprietary radio system between TX and RX, and then the RX drives a standard DCC decoder.

The Bluerail DCC - Tam Valley board is brand new, and apparently shipping to the mailing list first [I'm on so I could get one, if they are indeed shipping.]

I was gratified to notice that the Bluerail DCC board can be operated in "Basic Mode" directly to the motor by installing a jumper - no DCC decoder required.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts