G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally taken the steps needed to get out. I will work for 2 more weeks and then 6 weeks vacation, then no more putting on the gun or wearing the uniform. Just an ORF. Maybe then I can get some much needed work done on the layout and the fish better watch out, 'cus here I come!!:cool::D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
OUTSTANDING!

I retired a year and a half ago and now I wish I had retired 40 years ago.

It is wonderful! You will love it.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Congrats Greg! Retirement is great, but I have to agree with Mike. I'm busier now than when I was working (or at least seem to be), and have less time for my trains. The honey-do list just keeps getting longer and longer.
Enjoy yourself and your retirement after your seemingly one year vacation is done. Best decision you'll ever make.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Congratulations Greg!

As to "more time"; I wanted to congratulate you yesterday but being retired I just didn't have the time! ;) hehe! You'll see...

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Hey Greg: You will soon find yourself so darn busy you'll wonder how you got anything done while working. It all starts by getting up and hour or so later, actually eating breakfast, having a second cup of coffee, reading the newspaper, having a chat with the wife. Then it's 0930 and you get to work, until lunch, which takes a while too. If you are lucky you will get to Home Depot in the middle of the day, when nobody is there, the whole place to yourself.

Retirement ---- It's rough, but you are up to the task.

Best wishes, Bob

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I went down to the RR Retirement Board today, and got the paperwork all done. Now I am waiting for the BNSF to kick in with their paperwork, so I can get all the money I am entitled to. As far as work is concerned after I retire, I hope to do a lot of nothing for a while. That will suit me just fine. Then gradually work my way into doing something with the trains. I haven't really done anything for a couple of years and am looking foreward to getting back to modeling. I will have lots of projects to keep me busy.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 07/01/2008 9:34 PM
Congratulations Greg...you'll now be busier than you ever imagined!!!

I agree. In fact, I ran into a fellow retiree a short while back and his take is "I don't know how I ever found time to work" - it'll happen to you especially in this hobby.

Congratulations - every day will be like Saturday but less traffic!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sadly, it sneaks up on you, too. I was fortunate enough to start mine off early, as I had bought up my Navy time and some undergrad work, too - and had maxed out on sick leave, selling over a year of that back. I was 46 - but that was thirteen years ago the first of this month. I was a college instructor in the Alabama system. My first work - weeks after retiring - was as an AMERICORPS VISTA volunteer. After a few months - and three attempted robberies of me later - I quit - and became an art show/arts & crafts show attendee - 26-29 shows all over the SE each year for six plus years wore out my truck and left me with CTS problems (I was a woodturner.) and real debt. Next - range officer at a shooting range 64 mi roundtrip away - I seldom made gas money - expended lots of ammo - had too many near misses. I now play with my trains... safer... LGB is gone, so it's cheaper, too!

You'll wonder where the time goes... but welcome to our madness. Watch out for 'grey-haired' specials...

John (I'll be sixty this month!)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
This retirement is the best job I never had! You'll soon wonder how you got anything done while working full-time as there still isn't enough time in the day to get around to everything! My only mistake was not putting more in the budget for coffee and cigars.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, six working days left. I am still going strong, no slacking off. I put in an hour and a half overtime today for which I don't get paid. (Salaried) I guess the boss is planning an ice cream and cake social for my next to last day. (Wheeeeeee!!) Thanks for the words of encouragement. I won't miss work at all, I know. I already have a fishing trip planned with the grandsons. I can't wait.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts