G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Posted By up9018 on 12/26/2008 9:08 PM
Jerry,

If you plan on going to Osawatomie, then plan on stopping in Atchison Kansas too, there are 2 fully restored versions of your caboose at the railroad museum there.

We are discovering that this "caboose thing" is a hobby by itself complete with its own forums etc. It sounds like restoring it is going to be both interesting and challenging.

Last night we went to Lowes and bought a wood burning stove. We might find a better and cheaper one but at least when the caboose arrives if nothing better is available we will be able to get some smoke coming out of the chimney - at least there will be once we figure out how to get a 350 lb stove out of the pickup and into the caboose.

At least the price of gas is way down so trips will a lot less expensive.

Regards,

Jerry

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Posted By up9018 on 12/26/2008 9:15 PM
Jerry,

Here is where to go to find the rubber seal to mount your windows. Find the right size based on your steel and glass thickness. Generally you can order it from your local autoparts store or body shop,

http://www.trimlok.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=16

That will help. There are also pairs of tongue and groove seals that close the gap between the cupola sliding windows that will have to be replaced.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The next 9 days are looking promising for moving the caboose.

Rain today followed by 9 days of pretty good (dry) weather with only 1 day with 30% of showers. The guy with the bulldozer should be here Monday and hopefully we will be able to move the caboose a day or two after that.

Today I'll be back at the caboose to remove the rods from under the caboose and to hopefully remove the steps so they don't get damaged in the move. So far there has been no further vandalism or attempts to break into the caboose - which is my primary concern until we can get the caboose moved.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/72007?from=hrly_topnav_driving

Meanwhile I need to see if I can get the branches that overhang our driveway cut. The caboose roof without the cupola is 12 1/2 feet high which is going to make every bit of its movement challenging.

Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jerry,

I stumbled on this site and your caboose thread doing a search on Google for some specific Mopac caboose info. I thought you might like to know about a group on the 'net that might be able to provide some information and resources for your project. Check out the RR Caboose group on Yahoo, which has a lot of members who own their own full-size cabooses. There are even a couple Mopac cab owners there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RRcaboose/

Cheers!

Mike

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Posted By John Huebner on 01/04/2009 3:46 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned before, Ozark Mountain Railcar sells cabooses and parts...however, their parts web page is not available right now....

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/parts.htm

Hi John,

Thank you for bringing up that web site. They should be quite helpful once they get their parts up and running.

Jerry

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
UPDATE:

THE CABOOSE HAS BEEN MOVED AND IT IS NOW HERE!!!

The actual move took place Tuesday and Wednesday. Everything was moved onto our property on Tuesday but the final reassembly was not completed until Wednesday.

The move was really interesting to watch and I can post photos if anyone is interested.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Come on Jerry, you're just teasing us, you're doing something that all the rest of us would love to do if we could, and you think we don't want to see pictures, many many many pictures.

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Posted By Henson on 01/22/2009 8:45 PM
Where's the beef (pic's).

I'll start posting some photos soon.

As everyone can guess these past few days have been very hectic.

Just as I was starting to think we could get the caboose moved before vandals struck again - they did. Once again all the windows were knocked out and this time they tried to kick in the back door (held by a LARGE padlock) damaging the door in the process.

Fortunately we have had a week of no rain helping dry the ground so the contractor could get his bulldozer in to level the place the caboose was going and to spread a couple of loads of gravel both for the tracks and for parking on the side of the driveway in front of the caboose.

We also had time to get the trees cut that overhang the driveway for clearance of the caboose.

Jerry

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
OK. Here are a few photos:

First is from a few weeks ago

This morning the sun rose to a new view

The boarded up windows are all removed because I've been having new glass cut to install in all window frames.

Yesterday was mainly spent getting new windows cut and pressure washing the entire interior in preparation for painting.

Also the original wiring was for a 12 volt DC system so I've been working on getting 120 VAC to the caboose so it can be wired for electrical outlets, lights etc.

Currently there is nothing electrical in the caboose other than some wiring in conduit that goes to the outside marker lights.

Jerry

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Posted By jamarti on 01/23/2009 3:25 PM
How's your budget doing? Any big surprises?

So far the only major increase was self-inflicted.

The mover I had originally intended to use had quoted $4000 before he looked at it but then upped his price to $5,500 without giving any reason when he came and looked at the caboose and where we were going to put it. He also said he had moved the caboose before to its current location.

I then found another mover (recommended by others). This mover quoted $4,500 to move it and I told him if that was a firm price he had the job. He accepted it.

After looking over the caboose I noticed that there was some significant damage that appeared to have been done during a previous move and after hearing some horror stories and seeing how several cabooses had been seriously damaged during moves I decided to buy myself some insurance. I told the mover I would pay an extra $500 if the caboose was delivered and installed with NO FURTHER DAMAGE to it during the move.

After the caboose was completely relocated I checked it over, found no new damage and asked how much? The mover said $4,500 but I went ahead and paid the extra $500 I had offered. I felt that I had got my money's worth.

Jerry

21 - 40 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.