G Scale Model Train Forum banner

201 - 201 of 201 Posts

·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Posted By aceinspp on 15 Feb 2010 04:37 PM
Jerry: Do you really need to have heat in the caboose all winter. Your could get by with using Propane bootles that I think would be cheaper to maintain and fill. You could take them into town and fill. Be cheaper. I use a 30 pound in my shop and last quite a while. I also ue a small electric heater just to keep the chill out when I'm not using the shop. Does not cost me much for that option either but then again my shop is not as big as the caboose to heat. Later RJD

Hi RJD,

After I installed plumbing including a toilet, hot water heater and sink in the caboose I was left with one of two choices. Once freezing weather arrived (roughly November to March) I would have to either remove all water and anything freezable (such as canned drinks and food) from both the camper and caboose or to keep the inside of both of them above freezing all winter. That would mean not having any food or drinks or toilet available and I would even have to consider removing electronics such as TV's, DVR's computers etc. from fall to spring (I was told by the DirecTV service tech that the internal temperature of DVRs needs to be kept above 50 degrees).

Since watching wildlife (deer, raccoons, squirrels, birds etc.) is best done in the winter months I would have to give that up as well. The caboose and camper are surrounded on 3 sides by woods and I spend more time in them in the winter than in the rest of the year.

I really enjoy watching TV in the cupola and being able to glance outside to see what may be outside. During the day there are various birds (I've never been a bird watcher) and in the evenings and early night there may be deer or raccoons. With the cupola windows covered it is dark enough to watch TV but I can slide the curtain back and view outside.

Being of steel construction and with all sides exposed to the weather the caboose takes a lot of heat to warm the caboose. Two 1500 watt heaters will keep it above freezing and two more will bring the temperature up.

The camper has two 40 pound propane tanks but they would probably not last a week so I had a 250 gallon propane tank installed for the camper and this summer I will probably run a propane line to the caboose (a wall propane heater would give me a backup in case the electricity is off and should heat the caboose faster than the electric heaters.

Another issue is that I seldom go anywhere. It is not unusual for me to not leave home for a week at a time. I have a couple of 100 pound tanks which I could use for the caboose but having propane delivered is more practical for me.

I actually tend to live in the caboose and camper (and shop) because that is where most of my "stuff" is. Although the house is on the same property it is on a hill with a garage below and everything else is upstairs so there is not much of a view looking out of the den window. When Marilyn is out of town (as she is now) it is cheaper to heat the caboose and camper than to heat the entire house for one person - plus I like it this way. In the house I might as well be in a subdivision but in the camper and caboose - I am in the country.

Cheers,

Jerry

201 - 201 of 201 Posts