G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started several topics about cabooses as I progressed from looking for to buying and now to getting ready to restore a Missouri Pacific Caboose.

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34658

http://www.mylargescale.com/tabid/56/forumid/5/view/topic/postid/68048/afsort/ASC/Default.aspx

It is probably better to start a new topic to handle the various problems I run into so I am going to use this topic for everything regarding the restoration of this caboose.

Photo[/b][/b]

As I start working on it every little thing seems more complicated than anticipated. I got the locks off last night and now have to try to figure out how to replace them with better ones and to replace the door windows to make entry by vandals more difficult before I can get the caboose moved.

Even the windows are proving problematic. I was going to have a glass company cut replacements for the oval cupola windows until I realized that the Plexiglas or lexan windows were not even of uniform dimensions. Then I discovered that the cupola square windows are going to be very difficult to replace and the former plastic window dimensions are too small to use as templates for new glass. Eventually I figured out that the vandals had simply kicked them out and the reason they are now too small is because there had apparently been rubber gaskets fitted inside the window frames and they gaskets made up the difference between the window and the window frame dimensions. Unfortunately I only found one gasket so I will have to figure out something to do to fit windows soon to prevent further rain etc. causing further interior damage.

The vandals even cut off the rubber brake hoses so that will be something else I will need to replace (the caboose has to have brake lines to look at all realistic.

My thanks in advance to everyone who can provide assistance with this project as I have no personal railroad history and am proceeding in totally unfamiliar territory.

Regards,

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing that would be helpful that I have not been able to find elsewhere is a wiring diagram for this caboose.

Most of the wiring has been damaged and will need replacing but fortunately it appears to be mostly in conduit. Knowing where the existing wiring is and how it is wired will help a great deal with getting it working again. Since the school used the caboose as a concession stand at ball games etc. it is likely to have come conflicting wiring perhaps including both ac and dc circuits.

There is also what appears to be a wheel powered generator. It may not be possible/practical but I think it would be an interesting feature if I could somehow power this generator to actually provide power to the caboose.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jerry,

Looks like an interesting and challenging project. One question, will it go around 4' diameter curves?! Just kidding, couldn't help myself!

You might try posting some thoughts on the Railway Preservation News website : www.rypn.org There are a fair number of knowledgable folks there who might be able to help you out!

As for the wiring....I would think that it would be better to salvage what wire you could and then redo all of it. Then you'll know what goes where and why. No guesswork. And you'll know it was done with proper wire, etc..

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Jerry, for starters, try contacting D. F. Barnhardt & Associates at: trains-trams-trolleys.com. They are RR equipment dealers of long-standing, and should also know of sources of info and parts necessary for your project. They currently show a caboose similar to yours for sale.
The window gasket material is also used in diesel loco cabs and construction equipment, so ordering info should be available from a local glass shop or heavy equipment dealer. Do you have a nearby RR yard with a maintenance shop that you could visit for info?
Good luck with your project, and I'll be following your posts.

Larry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark and Larry for the suggestions.

So far I am only 1 day into this caboose ownership thing. I wrote them a check for it yesterday just to get a receipt so no one could change their mind.

We have intentionally not given any thought to what we would do if we got the (a) caboose other than to get a firm quote on moving it. The reason for this was because we did not want to get too excited about it and put a lot of energy and effort into it only to once again not be successful.

Now all the questions we never pursued are rising up full force.

I am spending pretty much all of my time trying to protect the caboose from rain and from vandals so everything else will come later. I may ask questions now but not follow up on the answers for months when hopefully more time and money will become available. Right now the caboose has left us very short on both.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jerry,

Be sure and let us know when "moving day" is...I'd take a day off work to come watch a team as they attempt to get that caboose and the tracks down your driveway!!

Michael

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Michael,

I'll be glad to let you know. I don't know how much advance warning I will have.

The guy with the bulldozer should be here tomorrow and the mover plans to be here to be sure the ground is prepped the way he wants it.

With the recent rain I don't know if the soft ground will be a problem or not.

Regards,

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday we went "Caboose Shopping" as we looked for information and accessories for our caboose.

First we went to Arkadelphia, Arkansas because they have a caboose from the same series as ours.

Unlike our caboose theirs was not gutted so we could see what the interior looks like. It was locked so we could not get inside it but we could look in through the windows and that was sufficient to see that there is little free space inside their caboose. For that reason a fully restored caboose would not be very useful for our purposes.

The stove alone was huge and takes up a great deal of space. We will discontinue our consideration of trying to find an original stove but for the short term we bought a small fake wood-burning stove that is electric. It puts out 1500 watts of heat with simulated wood logs burning so it will do for a start. We can use additional electric heaters until we get a real wood-burning stove (smaller than the original).

We decided to proceed to Reader, Arkansas to see if there were any remnants of the old Reader Railroad. We were amazed to discover that the Reader Railroad is still there and is even still in operation - if only currently for the movies

They even have a web site

http://readerrailroad.com/

We found someone there and were treated to a wonderful grand tour lasting several hours showing us their entire operation. The Reader Railroad has been providing many of the Steam Locomotives and Rolling Stock for some major motion pictures.

We also obtained a lot of very useful information that we will be able to use as we proceed to restore our caboose.

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By Dennis Paulson on 12/22/2008 7:06 AM
Jerry , you are really into large scasle now , good luck .

Hi Dennis,

If G Gauge is Large Scale then this must be Super Colossal Scale!!!

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I'll say one thing Jerry. You have picked one heck of project. Glade to see you could save the caboose. I spent 5 years on the Mopac and rode in many of those style cabooses. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Jerry looks like you are doing your homework. I'm sure you will pass the test and be rewarded with a nice restored caboose.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I appropriate the people like Jerry that can preserve some of the past RR history. Have you visited the Mopac museum in Osawatomie, Ks I'm sure they have some good stuff there also. Later RJD

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Posted By aceinspp on 12/22/2008 9:41 AM
I'll say one thing Jerry. You have picked one heck of project. Glade to see you could save the caboose. I spent 5 years on the Mopac and rode in many of those style cabooses. Later RJD

Hi RJD,

Thank you for your comments. One thing I hope to find out is whether our caboose #13641 ever ran in Arkansas before it was sold. I have heard that long ago railroads often assigned a caboose to a specific conductor but that later the practice was discontinued. On another forum (MoPac Preserved Cabooses) I am trying to find historical information about this caboose. I would be interested in any background you might be able to provide on this or other MoPac caboose activities and operations.

I did find out from the Arkadelphia caboose that what I had thought was an external tool box is actually a battery box. Theirs had an old (apparently 12 volt) battery still in it.

Regards,

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Posted By aceinspp on 12/22/2008 4:33 PM
I appropriate the people like Jerry that can preserve some of the past RR history. Have you visited the Mopac museum in Osawatomie, Ks I'm sure they have some good stuff there also. Later RJD

Now you have done it. We had never heard of the Mopac museum in Osawatomie, Ks and now we are probably going to have to go and visit it.

I just got home from spending all day freezing my butt off replacing missing windows. I got something covering all but 3 cupola windows and there is freezing rain predicted for tomorrow so I have to go back later tonight and get those last 3 windows covered. Gradually I am figuring out how to replace windows in a caboose - something I have managed not to have to know for 64 years.

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posted By Henson on 12/22/2008 12:10 PM
Jerry looks like you are doing your homework. I'm sure you will pass the test and be rewarded with a nice restored caboose.

Hi Henson,

I think it would be accurate to say that this is the "biggest" project I have ever tackled. I am beginning to wonder just what the passing grade is. Finding out where to find parts for a real railroad caboose is turning into a real challenge. Back before I retired I could have pretended to be "selling" and got in and out of all sorts of railroad places. Now I have to figure out a different approach.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jerry I happen to go back to Osawatomie in 2005 and stumble across the museum. It is located close to the old Mopac RR. It was closed the day I was there. Mater of fact this is where I worked out of. Be interesting to see what they have. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Jerry,

If you plan on going to Osawatomie, then plan on stopping in Atchison Kansas too, there are 2 fully restored versions of your caboose at the railroad museum there.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts