G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 17, I was called in to my boss. I was informed that I was "eligible to participate in the group Resource Action". No kidding, those are the words they used. :D

So, what that really means is the I'm laid off and my last date is July 17, 2008. Fortunately, I am eligible for retirement, so I'll at least have a little money coming in. Unfortunately, they froze our pensions awhile back and I never made my target savings of 10 gazillion dollars. ;)

I'm seriously considering the full time retirement; it should give me a bit more time to work on the railroad and other projects.

It's just the start of another adventure!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Bruce:

I just had my 3rd anniversary of retirement from the Fed Gov't downtown, and believe me
retirement isn't as good as they say it is...........it's better!

If you can do it, by all means take a shot at it. You can run trains anytime you want!

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Bruce:

I do not know you as a person, background, situation etc, but I can give you this.

A few years back when the world changed and so did the geopolitical situation of a certain US industry, my father was "offered" and early "buy out". He knew the writing was on the wall (that had just been torn down ironically) and with is age at the time (mid 50s) his experience, clearance level, eductation, papers, wife with a terminal disease, etc. that he had better take what was offered..... He was a bit worried, but they promised him some contract work along with the pension as a "hook".

The last year he did any contract work he put in a whopping four (4) hours for the year, and was basically a name in proposals.

His free time is so full (even after the passing of mom this January as he assisted her full time at home along with some professional home health care) he has no idea how he had time for a full time job....

If you can make the situation work for you, I would do it.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Bruce

I took an early (fortunately unforced) retirement 5 years ago and life has never been better. You are going to love it!

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Ever see "Oliver's Travels" from BBC? He took off on a journey after being "Found Redundant."

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Well Bruce, my last day to work is on July 16. But I will get 6 weeks vacation after that, so I won't actually retire until Aug 31. I am looking foreward to it, and I hope you are too. It's been a long 36 years carrying a badge and wearing a gun. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
On retirement, every day is Saturday. You just can't beat it.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Bruce,
I have been out of the market since Feb. of this year when I told Walgr**n's to pound sand. Haven't pushed a pill since. Still adjusting but love it. As long as the income equals the outgo we will do fine. Have spent the past week babysitting the 1 year old grandson. That my friend is harder than work but much more fun. Meet me at Roger's and we will run trains on his layout.
Noel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts