G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lord of the Steam
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever get upset when your train derails? Watch this and see what it takes in real life!

Scott

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Nate, well spotted!
It says 767 on the cab LH side @ 2:30 and 4:43 time mark and 765 on the cab RH side @ 6:19 and 9:19 time mark.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Nate, well spotted!
It says 767 on the cab LH side @ 2:30 and 4:43 time mark and 765 on the cab RH side @ 6:19 and 9:19 time mark.

Andrew
The engine has been renumbered to 767 (temporarily?) to honor that engine... there is something about the engine was originally numbered that before being donated to a city park and renumbered for some sort of commemoration of the 765 arriving. I guess there is also some confusion as to what engine the tender is actually from. (Museums often renumber engines to fit their needs at the moment... not much different than what the RRs have done in the past and are still doing!) This derailment occurred in the middle of the refurbishment and renumbering.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Scott, Garratt, two great videos, THANK YOU. If I found the 'library' where train video's can be accessed, I'd be couch potato for sure, I never get enough of them. LG

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Far too big, far too complicated! do you know what this beam on top of the water tank is for;-)? Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
That "beam" is weird! There is a notch that appears to be specifically cut in the top of the tender wall for the square end of the beam. And the front end of the beam is held up by a saddle bracket that appears to have been designed specifically for the rounded end of the beam... but there are no foot plates for workmen to stand on to reach the beam, so I would assume it is not a "tool" that is carried along for some off-engine work.

???

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
"do you know what this beam on top of the water tank is for;-)?"

OK, I'll make a guess. It allows the crew and passengers to lever the locomotive back onto the track after a minor derailment. Lots of grades and lots of curves, so I don't suppose the equipment is ever moving very fast. Most derailments probably fit into the "minor" category. Most passengers would be willing to help so they can continue their ride to their destination. May seem primitive, but apparently it works on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.

Close?
David Meashey

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dave, of course! This is a rerailing beam. Mind you, not only the relatively small B-tank carried the beam. Please check what is hanging under the running board of the D-Class Garratt (by Roundhouse). Nate, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - for me the B-tank is the most beautiful and classy locomotive ever produced - and the Roundhouse model of it the best live steamer of all. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What i think makes it look ugly is how dirty and grungy it is- i like a little soot and weathering but couldnt the crew wipe the engine down once and a while?

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts