G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last week I included a number of pictures (320 pixels wide) in a reply to a thread. After clicking the submit button, nothing would happen. I could see by the busy icon things were in progress but the post just wasn’t being accepted. After several minutes, I tried to cancel and that request was ignored. Frustrated I closed my browser (IE) and went somewhere else for my large scale fix.  :mad:

A couple of days later I included a couple of pictures in a reply to another thread. After clicking the submit button, the same thing happened. Frustrated I left to prepare and eat supper. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

After a couple of hours I returned and the reply still had no been accepted. I quit and went elsewhere. The next morning the post was there, although one of the pictures was in the wrong place.

I have posted pictures on My Large Scale and other forums for years without problems and still have no trouble elsewhere. I am familiar with both tags and the picture insert icon procedures. As pictures can be worth thousands of words and I am a two fingered typist, I really would like to able to include them.

I know there are restrictions to the size of pictures (640 wide max). Are there restrictions to the number of pictures allowed in a reply?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
No other restrictions as long as you can get them to post....... And that seems to be the problem no one has a simple fix for..... Current workarounds require you to back up every post before touching the "preview" or "submit" button.

The backup procedures are as confusing to non-computer types as the posting procedures (that don't work). Losing our (non-IT) craftsmen every day for the reasons you stated above.

Dawgstuff

Edit: I'll be damned! The post worked without having to back it up!!!

Re-edit: I did use four fingers and a thumb.....

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Paul Norton on 03/22/2008 11:25 AM

«snip...» I know there are restrictions to the size of pictures (640 wide max). Are there restrictions to the number of pictures allowed in a reply?

Paul

As far as I know there is only an intended limit on the number and file size (i.e. 3 & 60KB respectively) of the Attachments option available to 1st Class members on the Rich-text Editor screen.

Of late however, although there is no intended limit that I'm aware of on the number of included image links within a reply. I have noticed that if you attempt to include eight or more image links within a reply it will not function and there is no error encountered (i.e. the process just hangs).

While including 6 or 7 will work, you'll likely encounter a fair delay in posting. What I've found to work reliably and in an acceptable length of time, is to limit the max number of images included within a single reply to 5.

Just as an aside, within my latest testing, neither filesize nor image dimension seem to affect the above. Although, the 640 pixel width restriction is still in effect, and the file size can have an adverse effect on those members stuck with slow dial-up connection.

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Paul, as a quick experiment, try using a different browser, like Firefox...

I have a web site with a built-in page editor, IE jsut "sticks" on the last part of a page update, never clearing the "hourglass", but Firefox works fine.

Clearing files and making sure your browser is updated often helps too.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I'm with Paul - there is definitely a bug causing the posting process to hang.  I've experienced all the same symptoms in fairly random order.  It does not make the experience any fun.

LSC must be getting a lot of traffic these days...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a two fingered typist and a lousy speller, so I compose my messages in Word (my E-mail editor). I include the URLs for any pictures or links and use the icons to insert them. But the forum still hangs when I try to submit a reply with pictures. I have no problem on other forums or our club web site doing the same thing.

In the thread “10mm White LED”, I replied by pasting in a small text message and added a couple of GIFs from the forum editor. It hung!

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/35/postid/19250/view/topic/Default.aspx

After a minute or so, I hit the stop button on my browser, then the cancel button on the forum editor. After a couple of seconds it posted the reply anyway? Perhaps this is a work around!

I do clear my temporary Internet files on a reguar basis. Is this something that can be set as a default on Internet Explorer?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Paul - I was thinking about this subject this morning on the way to work............
And I have come to the conclusion that it might really be a blessing that you are having trouble posting... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

I remembered the photos of your workspace...... The clean, perfectly organized area with a place for everything and everything in it's place..... And my wife saw the pictures!

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif

Nuff said

Craig

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts