G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically it was damaged during shipping and of course it doesn't run. Not 100% percent sure how to tackle this, other than taking it apart first.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If that the damaged spot on the boiler, that is really some odd damage, I also see the headlight is off, is that damaged to. If it were my engine I see no reason why the boiler could not be repaired and the engine should not have to come apart, I would remove the air/steam lines, they just pull off as they are pushed in, some may need a good tug. I would fill in the damage area with something like JB Weld the 5 minuet type, be sure to lay the engine on its side and the glue will run till it sets up. It will require sanding so use smaller amounts and build up in thin coats till level with the boiler jacket. If you have the broken part that's even better, put the JB Weld around the edges, test fit, then put in place till dry, then smoot out with more JB Weld. Also put some tape around the engine weight and seal the hole so the glue will not run inside the engine.
I see no reason why the engine doesn't run, are the switches under the cab in the right possession, it's got to be something simple. Pics of two LGB Moguls that I repainted and added custom detail parts.

trainman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that the damaged spot on the boiler, that is really some odd damage, I also see the headlight is off, is that damaged to. If it were my engine I see no reason why the boiler could not be repaired and the engine should not have to come apart, I would remove the air/steam lines, they just pull off as they are pushed in, some may need a good tug. I would fill in the damage area with something like JB Weld the 5 minuet type, be sure to lay the engine on its side and the glue will run till it sets up. It will require sanding so use smaller amounts and build up in thin coats till level with the boiler jacket. If you have the broken part that's even better, put the JB Weld around the edges, test fit, then put in place till dry, then smoot out with more JB Weld. Also put some tape around the engine weight and seal the hole so the glue will not run inside the engine. View attachment 61144 I see no reason why the engine doesn't run, are the switches under the cab in the right possession, it's got to be something simple. Pics of two LGB Moguls that I repainted and added custom detail parts.

trainman
I agree with you about the boiler, the broken piece is inside the boiler. I checked the switches and they are in the right possession. There are some other damaged parts like the drawbar, but small compared to everything else. When the tender is hocked up, the lights light up. I open up gear box on the bottom and nothing looks out of of place. If you have any ideas what it could be let me know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take you transformer and touch the wire leads to the sliders on the bottom side by the wheels, give the transformer some power say 40-50 % and see if the motor will turn the wheels. Take the roof off, them the cab off, and the firebox in the cab out, you should be able to get the broken piece out of the boiler from here. You could also drop the motor and running gear which does open up the bottom of the boiler and you could get the broken piece out from there to. Do remember sometimes you have to take other parts off to get other off, its hard for me to tell with out looking at it. Here is a LGB service manual, yours should be in there somewhere, but all moguls are pretty much the same.
LGB Manuals : LGB Model Trains, LGB Locomotives, Garden Train Sets, G Scale Model Trains, Look for your engine model number here, or just use the 2018D all are pretty much the same.

trainman

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a mid 80's Era mogul that had been sitting for quite some time. I've experienced some finicky behavior from the switch in the cab. Even though it may be in the far right '2' position, I sometimes have to fiddle around with it to get it to start moving. If I don't touch it again it'll keep running just fine. I'm guessing the contacts inside inside switch might be a bit cruddy. If you haven't already, try fiddling with that switch, could be the culprit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shoot some electrical contact cleaner in the switch, this usually does the job. I had three LGB moguls that sat in the close indoors for 20 plus years and when I fired them up they ran just find. Note I did remove the bottom plate on the gear box and replace to old grease which had gotten somewhat hard, or not as pliable as when it was new, but did not affect the running of the mogul.

trainman.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Worst case, is to find someone that repairs these and can source parts and get it going again. I dont know where you are in the USA, but Zionsville Train Depot does LGB repair work. They are what arose from the old Watt's Train Shop, same repair/upgrade service tech. Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take you transformer and touch the wire leads to the sliders on the bottom side by the wheels, give the transformer some power say 40-50 % and see if the motor will turn the wheels. Take the roof off, them the cab off, and the firebox in the cab out, you should be able to get the broken piece out of the boiler from here. You could also drop the motor and running gear which does open up the bottom of the boiler and you could get the broken piece out from there to. Do remember sometimes you have to take other parts off to get other off, its hard for me to tell with out looking at it. Here is a LGB service manual, yours should be in there somewhere, but all moguls are pretty much the same.
LGB Manuals : LGB Model Trains, LGB Locomotives, Garden Train Sets, G Scale Model Trains, Look for your engine model number here, or just use the 2018D all are pretty much the same.

trainman
Well I already tried that and nothing. I determined that the motor isn't getting any power. There's a chance that the motor could be bad, I would think that would be quite low. I think I will have to separate the shell and mechanism to access the other side. It's a 25196, it's a 2019s lettered for Durango & Silverton. I know there are some motor block changes due to it's dcc ready.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
The LGB mogul (not the 5 pin cable version) get track power from the tender and the engine. One needs to check the strips in the bottom of the engine as these carry the wheel/slider power to the post giving power to the electronics. It is possible the cable came unplugged from the top of the engine thus giving lights on with the tender attached but no motor power.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you said you purchase and engine that is DCC ready, so LGB never made Moguls that were ever DCC ready, so he has done something to the factory wiring I would think, and what, I have no idea without taking the motor drive assembly out of the boiler and see what is going on. DCC would require to rewire the mogul to DCC standards and you can just about throw away all the LGB electronic as they won't be needed. I would suggest at this point that you decide on what type of system you want to used in this engine, factory standard wiring (ie.track power), DCC (NCE,etc.), or a battery system like RailPro, or Airwire, or something else. Until you drop the motor block/wheel drive assembly from the boiler as look and see what you got, or what he did, everything is just a guess. I would bet that the motor is fine and is not the problem. When you get this apart take some pics of the wiring that go into the engine module, ( 3 or 4 brass pins sticking out of the motor block, plus take pics of where these wires go, I can tell a lot from those pics.

trainman

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
The manual (Mearklin) for the 25196 does state there is a connector for the 55027 LGB decoder. This would be the board without the metal heat sink in the middle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts