G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has an LGB Chloe:

I was using it to pull my Aristo Track cleaning car, and I guess it was too much and it stripped some gears. The meter spins, but the wheels don't turn.

Anyway, I took out all the obvious screws but could not get the bottom cover off. What is the secret?

And would it be better to replace the whole motive unit or just whatever is stripped? (Probably just the cone gears).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,180 Posts
The motor only drives the rear axle. On the older models there is a serpentine belt drive, newer model has a drive shaft. Wheel alignment is very important when reassembling and the belt version is a royal pain, drive shaft is easy. Note the 2 versions have different motors!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,180 Posts
Note that the chloe only pulls 2 to 3 small FRR cars (2 axle). I have one over 20 years old and works great, but I do not use it very often. Never been relubed either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note that the chloe only pulls 2 to 3 small FRR cars (2 axle). I have one over 20 years old and works great, but I do not use it very often. Never been relubed either.
Yeah usually we just pull the two excursion cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have not figured out how to get it apart. LGB's exploded part drawing was no help. Any clues?
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Machine
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,180 Posts
The Trainli axle set is for the serpentine belt, NOT the drive shaft Marklin version. Marklin did make both versions, LGB only made the serpentine version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I have a different internet than you do, Greg, since there while there were a lot of hits (This discussion was about the third hit), none were specific to the taking apart of the Chloe.

Anyway, by being a little more forceful, I got it apart as shown below. It looks to me like a manufacturing defect, the gear on the axle looks pristine. I guess I just shove it back, right?
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Office equipment Automotive exterior
Auto part Engineering Machine Audio equipment Metal
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,789 Posts
Strictly speaking that is not a serpentine belt, which is ANY belt that has a serpent-like path... which necessitates at least 3 points of contact:



More importantly, this is a "toothed belt" which has less slippage than a smooth belt or O ring.

But anyway...

I went back and looked up the hits, you are right, lots of talk, but only Tom White (who posts here) had mentioned a recent install.

But it seems that you merely had to remove the bottom motor block cover, it must have been tight and concerned you.

Dan, what glue? If that is nylon, will CA work, or perhaps a more traditional glue?

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to think that a serpentine belt also makes contact on the inside and the outside.
Yeah, It was hard to see the seam and it was pretty tight after I had the screws out.

Anyway, all good now. Thanks everyone. I just put a few drops of my hobby plastic glue on it. It was a pretty tight fit, so it probably wasn't needed
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,789 Posts
Yes, for it to change direction, there must be at least one roller/pulley on the back side, from a geometric point of view, otherwise not needed if no change in direction, i.e. NOT serpentine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,180 Posts
Greg, I never had the Chloe type of gear slip out of place, I only suggested it be glued as this one did slip out of alignment and it could occur again.
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,789 Posts
I completely agree, was asking what type of glue would you recommend, you being (way) more familiar than most of use with LGB.

Greg
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top