G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Removing Ruby domes

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ian Pooley 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Ruby which I have disassembled so that I can use the boiler and the chassis for a project. How do I remove the domes? Are they a press fit? Are they threaded on? I'd like to replace them with larger domes.

Ian Pooley

#2 ·
Try tugging it at different angles. On the interior of the dome is a metal ring that clips into a groove on the water cap. The clip on my engine is also a little tight, and removing the dome required a lot of cajoling the first few times. Replacing it with another dome should be quite easy, just make sure it fits over the cap.

#4 ·
I ansewered this on the original thread, but will again The Ruby 1 that I purchased in Jan 07 had the water fill in the valve.
I removed the sand dome by unscrewing the small raised part on the top. The ring at the top of the steam dome also unscewed.
I hope this works for you. Some one said he thought they were brazed on.

#5 ·
Thanks Gary:

The domes do unscrew if you start with the small raised parts. I'd missed that the first time I tried to get them off. By the way, does anyone have any ideas on how to adapt the Sulphur Springs fluted Ruby domes so that they fit this particular version?

Ian Pooley
Deptford, South Porcupine and Pacific
Kelowna, B.C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.