G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has started bugging me again about buying a live steam loco. I told him I would look into it, if he took care of the remote control aspect.

Other than the throttle, what if anything needs to be controlled by a servo on one of these beasts?

Where should I tell him to start looking for the RC components?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My layout has some grades, though not severe. It would seem that RC of the throttle would faciltate operation, especially on any sort of down grade.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posted By Mark Scrivener on 01/14/2009 1:35 AM
If you have grades I would most certainly install RC on BOTH the throttle and the reverser. You might also consider a geared engine. Non geared live steam engines tend to be very sensitive to grades. The other issue you will find is most servos won't completely close the throttle (depends on the throttle tapper and servo torque, but generally I find this to be true). It isn't an issue if the train is pulling a heavy load and on a flat track. However, with a light load or facing down hill, you might find that "closed" isn't quite closed enough and the train continues to go despite your command to stop. This is where the reverser comes in - by simply moving the reverser to neutral, the steam is completely cut off, even if the throttle isn't 100% closed, and the train stops.

How steep (and long) are your grades? What engine are you considering?

My grades are 1-2%. I'm not sure which loco should be my first foray into live steam. I had asked that question here quite some time ago, when I was considering a Mamod. There were other suggestions such as Roundhouse. I would like it to be something simple but reliable. Also one that I can easily fit RC gear into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.