G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
From Regner's site, xlated by babelfish:

"This model of a Shay we would like to gladly still build this year. Unfortunately the time did not reach no more to us up to the play goods fair. The original became 1880 of Lima Locomotive Works for a company Namens G& J Backus built. The model is propelled by two-cylinder machines and consists in large parts of wood. In well-known Easy LINE quality. "

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Pete Thornton on 09/14/2008 3:36 PM
From Regner's site, xlated by babelfish:
"This model of a Shay we would like to gladly still build this year. Unfortunately the time did not reach no more to us up to the play goods fair. The original became 1880 of Lima Locomotive Works for a company Namens G& J Backus built. The model is propelled by two-cylinder machines and consists in large parts of wood. In well-known Easy LINE quality. "

Many of us over here, who for one reason or another are also German-speakers, always get a good laff out of the on-line so-called 'translation facilities' - and Babelfish is probably the funniest. This is due mostly to the fact that German is so like Old English in its construction and syntax that Babelfish tries unsuccessfully to bring it into modern speech patterns and syntax, often with hilarious results.

What Herr Regner ACTUALLY wrote - ignoring for the moment the approximations of Babelfish - is as follows -

'We would have been very happy to have been able to have produced this Shay model this year. Unfortunately, time ran out in the run-up to the International Toy Fair. The original was built in 1880 by Lima Locomotive Works for a company of name G&J Backus. The model is driven by a twin-cylinder engine, and consists of many large parts in wood. It is in the well-known 'Easy Line' quality.'

Here, try it the only REAL British language!

'Bai iawn yn boddhau at wedi dichon gwna hon Shay model eleni. 'n anffodus, amsera ran i maes i mewn'r arlwyau achos'r 'n Gydwladol Chorodyn arddangosfa. 'r'n gysefin locomotif adeiladwyd i mewn 1880 gan'r Lima Locomotif ffactri achos'r G & J Backus chwmni. 'r model cathrenir at efell - rhôl beiriant, a amgyffreda lawer'n fawr banodau chan allt. Hon model gwneir at yr un ansawdd fel arall'n 'Esmwyth bannod.''

tac

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hey Terry,
Few of us can speak Welsh and I make no claims to proficiency. Always found the signs in Wales confusing.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Llyn - with a name like yours it's a shameful thing to have to admit!!! :)

S'funny, I never get confused with road signs in Wales......but my wife, who IS Welsh, admits to not speaking a word - 'It all looks like scrabble to me', she notes ruefully. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif

Here's a few tips for driving in Wales, with regard to road signs, that is. Whether or not you pay them any attention depends on how fast you can read a dictionary.

ARAF - SLOW!

ARAFYCH NAWR - SLOW DOWN RIGHT NOW, THIS VERY SECOND, AND I MEAN IT!

GIR ISEL - ENGAGE LOW GEAR RIGHT NOW

HENOEDD - OLD FOLKS

PLANT - CHILDREN

YSGOL - SCHOOL

BWS - BUS

AMBWLANS - AMBULANCE

PAM WELYCH OLAU GOCH, SEBBWCH YMA - WHEN YOU SEE A RED LIGHT, WAIT HERE!

DIWEDD - END!

GWYNT O'R OCH'R - SIDE WIND [OF ABOUT 200MPH]

DIM PARCIO - NO PARKING

FFORDD DWYDDIANIOL - DIVIDED HIGHWAY

GWASANAETHAU - WASHROOMS

LLWYBR COHOEDDUS - PUBLIC FOOTPATH

CROESO I GYMRU! - WELCOME TO WALES!

YMDIRIODOLAETH GENADLAETHOL CYMRU - NATIONAL TRUST FOR WALES

CADW - WELSH HISTORICAL TRUST

AND MOST IMPORTANT - A SIGN ON A LITTLE WHITE CAR - HEDDLU - POLICE

Enjoy!

tac

·
Registered
518 Posts
This reminds me of a statement made by Edmund Blackadder to his servant Baldric. (In a BBC tv comedy show I add):

"Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?"
"No, but I've often thought I'd like to."
"Well don't, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the
placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight."

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Babelfish translation above evokes thoughts of actor S.J. Sakal as Carl in the film Casablanca ("What watch? Such much!)

Alan- good one

cheers, TUL
(a Jones)

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 09/15/2008 10:58 AM
I mean no insult to anyone, but that looks like the source of dyslexia.

Scrabble, actually. :)

tac

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I like it too. Rustic charm is the phrase that comes to mind when I looked at it. All it needs is some serious dirtying up and weathering and it's good to go. Sadly, we didn't get 'Shayed' over here, more's the pity, but that doesn't mean that one could never have run. It would mean that it would have to be VERY small, as the usual narrow gauge track in Wales is between 1' 11.5" and 2' 1/2" - don't ask me why. A 760mm/2' 6" version running on the Welshpool line would look pretty good, and solve all those problems of climbing the Golfa Bank out of Raven Square station - it's the steepest adhesion section in the UK and on a drizzly day [more often than not] it's a real struggle for most locos, requiring serious attention to water, fire and steam.

Anybody got any piccies of teeny Shays anywhere to share with me and Pete?

tac

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Mr Thornton - according to the site, all of the Easy-line models are ca. 1/22.5 [IIm]. However, they all look pretty good mixing it with the usual 16mm models - that's 1/19th British Garden Rail stuff.

tac

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
With a little bit of experience with Regner Easy Line steamers (SitG Willi and Konrad contest winners) it is my opinion that though listed at 1:22.5 they scale very well (as tac has said) to 1:20 especially if you look at one with the cast metal driver Regner used to include. I will be receiving an early number of the Regner Shay when available in the US through the Train Department and will report on it when it is in my hands. I expect it will fit in well with my coal-fired vertical boiler Shay, "dirty" Accucraft two cylinder Shay and Catatonk 24 ton Shay. (see SitG issue #100)
The Backus Shay has been one of my favs since researching early Shays in Koch's classic Shay book when building the coal fired one. Despite having oscillating cylinders I think it will be popular as are Geoffbuilt and Lindsay Shays today despite the availability of A-craft's fixed cylinder versions. I wish I had my original G-built Shay back. Are you listening Ken?
Thankfully I've recently been able to obtain an original Lindsay Shay. Life is good. No wonder T1 and T2 have allowed me to be T3 despite my disparate birthday. (most of you won't understand, right Tom and Tom?)
Have fun,
Tom

·
Registered
231 Posts
Many thanks to Tac for the Welsh lexicon.

I remember walking through the Gwynedd countryside (in search of the Festiniog Railway) many years ago and seeing one sign after another for "Troetffordd Cyhoeddus" (Public Footpath) and wondering why a place would be so popular that it would merit all these signs. Never did see the English translation on the other side of the sign...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,

Regarding Shay #618, I remember seeing an article about Shays some time ago in the Railway Magazine. Apparently it was referred to as 'the beast of Bilston' - not very complimentary but I can imagine that to people used to the UK's diminutive tank locos on industrial lines, 618 would have been both big and powerful as well as unusual in its appearance. Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the firm that owned her.

All the best,
Martin

·
Registered
518 Posts
Martin,
If you follow the links provided by Charles M and myself you will see who the purchaser in the UK was and some details of its working environment.
Indeed, I can see why the sobriquet was given to the Shay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts