G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that might be interested, I completed the build of my Regner RhB G4/5 engine today. I have been testing and tweeking for some time to get it running as you can see in the video clips. It works in compound and simple mode.

You can see a pictorial build log and some short clips here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wpandyr/G45Build

Both this, and the Saxonian Meyer, that has been running at shows since December 2007, are beautiful models and it is well worth taking the time to build them.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Beatifull engine and well documented. A few questions? Do you consider this engine to be simpler or more difficult in KIT form than say Aster Berkshire, for example? Since the price is very similar to the Berkshire or other Aster engines, why is that you choose this engine over an Aster? I would like to learn what were your thoughts upon deciding this was a better choice. Thank you Rod.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David, thanks for upgrading the link [:)] it is indeed a magnificent locomotive.

Privero, I am not adding to the "this manufacturer is better than that manufacturer" debate but the Aster Berkshire is at least twice the price of a Regner here in Europe, and I suspect it is the same differential in the USA. The big Aster's, while beautiful engines, have limited usability in that they need such large tracks to run on so do not suit me. That said, I have 4 smaller Aster engines that I run occasionally in the garden.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Rod - you could have added that the Regner loco, a 1:22.5 model, is built to a much larger scale than the G1 Aster Berkshire.
Horses for courses, Mr Privero, not everybody, as Rod notes, has acres of space and giant layouts like you guys in USA and Mexico, let alone the fifty or sixty cars to haul behind the Berkshire.
tac

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sorry, Rod, I was not triyng to make a debate, it just that I saw in the Regner page the prices, and it was very similar to the S2 or Berkshire here in the USA, so I thought that I can ask for another point of view, and learn form other users of other makers. Know I learn from you and Tac why is in part that you choose such beautifull engine over other brands. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Excllent job on your G4/5. I'm wondering if you needed to do any fiddling with the compound valve?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, Thanks for the compliments, Yes I did change the spring on the compound/disc valve, I replaced the 1/8 ID load spring with one of 5/16 ID approx and this helped the seal around the edge of the disc. I am planning to visit Regner's in July and will take the engine to show them what I did. The valve is still prone to leaking if steam pressure gets too high, say above 3.5 bar. 3 bar is operating pressure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Rod,
Seems like a nice addition to your livery of Locomotion./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif
Does the 'compound' demand any difference in operation ?

Al

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Al,
Nice to hear from you, the compound is easy to drive so long as you keep the steam pressure to about 3 bar (45psi). If the pressure drops too low the exhaust from the HP cylinder will not drive the LP cylinder. If the pressure goes too high then the disc valve of the compounding valve lifts and leaks. Careful adjustment of the gas pressure is required to maintain correct steam pressure. The engine will pull away very easily in simple mode, once rolling steadily, so long as the pressure is ok one switches over to compound mode and it will run happily. Careful control of the regulator is also required, if it is left open it will run away.

Hope you are still steaming your German engines.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
One of the fun things about Live Steamers is finding that "right" spot were all goes well. It usually has to do with finding the correct boiler/water pump/throttle setting. Sure is a good feeling when it all comes together and the engine seems to run itself. :rolleyes: Sparkies sure miss alot of fun, but then again..................many of them look at all of this as a lot of trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts