G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Thanks for re-posting Larry. my computer did something strange and a boat load of archived stuff is floating in my hard drive in some strange location.Grrrr
The information has been wonderful on your project. Thanks again.

Chuck K

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still trying to get a handle on the picture posting, Here goes! This the loco as she will go to Diamondhead (also my warm-up/steaming rack);

This is the loco pulling cars on a four foot circle of track;

This is my railroad logo and my first attempt at decal printing;

hope it worked!

redbeard  AKA  Larry

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry,

Beautiful work and I can't wait to see it in person at Diamondhead. I sort of like it unpainted. Thanks for the thread, an interesting one to follow.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Carl,
While I am not unhappy with the unpainted brass I am anxious to finish all the little details and paint the engine. I hope that all of you who commented and are at Diamondhead will come and introduce yourselves to me. Some of you I have met there in previous years, but I was just a spectator then! Thanks for all the comments!
redbeard AKA Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Dwight,
I am driving over, it's only a couple of hours from home. I am going over Wed. morning to get some running in before it gets crowded. I just updated my profile to include my location. I feel for you guys who are flying in, I wonder what this will do to the attendance level. (particularly the overseas folks)
redbeard AKA Larry

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Rod,

I'm bringing my Cricket - you're welcome to run it if you would like. The same goes for the diesel streamliner, which I will finish before Diamondhead if it kills me!

Bob

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bob,
You and I both need to learn that there is a time to stop!
I don't think it will come before Diamondhead though!
Larry

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Larry,

The base color is done on all 5 body shells, the stripes go on tonight and tomorrow night, then the decals and clearcoat and I'm done! I'm taking off all next week so I might try to build some simple boxes for transporting the beast.

Having a deadline has been a big help for productivity - but I'm ready to be done and enjoy the model.

Bob

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hi Bob, Pleased to hear your making  excellent progress with your train painting. Really looking forward to seeing it all finished. Thanks for the offer to run with you and yours :rolleyes:   Jerry R has also offered engines to run so I should have plenty to play with   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

See you there.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Wow! I am amazed that you can get around a 4 foot circle. I can't remember if you showed how you did the exhaust, looks like it would almost be outside the limits of the smoke box. Have fun an DH.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Winn,
One of the reasons I chose this particular Mason to model is that it is one of the few 0-4-4's. So the reason it turns tighter is likely just the difference in a four driver bogie compared to a six driver bogie. Plus no lead truck. I saw a recent post that stated a Ruby would run on a 2 foot curve, I don't know because I never put mine together as a Ruby. Any way it is at it's limits on a 4 foot curve. Here is a picture I pulled up from the original post showing the exhaust. It has changed a little, as it now is a small tube inside a larger floating tube to cut down on "cooking" the "spit-ups" while running. I never heard these sounds till I quieted down the howling burner. But the slots and basics are still the same. I have found that it likes to run clockwise better than counterclockwise, bugged me till I figured out that the flexible steam line running down the left side limits the motion in that direction. Not enough to worry about as I don't anticpate running a lot in 4 foot circles- It Makes My Head Spin!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif 
Anyway here is the old picture;

redbeard  AKA Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Oh Boy!
Just returned from the post office with a package from Royce! The 1/2 inch cylinders are in and they look real good. Nice little detail on the front heads that was not on the prototypes shown on an earlier post. Now I have to get them on and try them out!
redbeard  AKA Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

Well it WAS ready to go to Diamondhead! I just can't leave well enough alone Here is how far apart I had to go to install the new cylinders.

I guess I can't read a dial caliper either....I was sure I measured my piston rods at 1/8th inch, but they are 3MM. So I had to drill out the crossheads to fit the bigger 1/8th inch rods. If you are doing this I advise that you use only hand power and a NEW drill bit. I used a #30 drill in my "special" tool. (a drill chuck screwed ontao a hood pin off my old 65 Chevy) Brass drills and works nicely with SHARP tools.

Installed the cylinders with no problems, everything fit well and soon I was running on air!

I reinstalled the boiler and fired her up to check things on steam. Man these cylinders run good! I can control the throttle much better than with the smaller cylinders. I had a very small leak from around a rear head bolt, so I stopped after one boiler full. I called Royce and talked to him about the leak. I have applied a little RTV to the bolts and will let that sit over night and then see how it goes. Here is where she is for tonight.

redbeard  AKA Larry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are the new cylinders available from Royce now, or are these a one off pair, just for this engine? Have been waiting on new cylinders for my Mimi for the last year, hope these are available now so I can get it running. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Charles M SA # 74

1 - 20 of 105 Posts