G Scale Model Train Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I got the first of the videos from Diamondhead today. Here is a clip with the railtruck pulling 20 cars. THANK YOU Jim Sanders ! ! !

redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I can't believe it is March already! I have not worked on anything steam powered since I put up the small track.....til today ! The only real issue I had with the truck at Diamondhead was the amount of water it dribbled out on the track. Every time I ran the truck I chased it with rags. So as much as I liked the novelty of the "tailpipe" I have opted for a cleaner running truck. So I moved the exhaust to the flue. I built a brass sleeve to keep the pipe centered and then ran copper to the sleeve. Just ran it in the dark to check it out, and it got rid of the "wet track" problem. Here are a couple of pictures of the exhaust tubes. From the "chain side";

and from the "flywheel side";

I need to do a little "tuning" but it works pretty well already.

More to come !

redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Larry, How about bringing the truck up here this week so we can see how it does in the snow. I'm sure we can rig a plow for it! Maybe I could use that hot water dribble as an ice melter???

Larry--the one in Vermont under the snow.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
"Larry, How about bringing the truck up here this week so we can see how it does in the snow. I'm sure we can rig a plow for it! Maybe I could use that hot water dribble as an ice melter???

Larry--the one in Vermont under the snow."

Larry,
IF.....that's a BIG IF you got me to Vermont in the winter, you would run me off real fast.( you couldn't stand the complaining) Diamondhead (yes the Steam-up one) is too far north for me in the winter. Once every 15-20 years we get a little snow here, I get out of bed and look out the window at the white stuff and get back in the bed! I do not like cold weather. But the truck might like it better than I do. I ran it last night here when it was about 40 and it ran fine.

redbeard AKA Larry (the one under the covers in Florida) SA #1956

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hi Everybody!
It's been a while since I have had any "steam time", but I got in a little this evening. To prepare for the water car I moved the steam line to the gauge to free up a fitting in the boiler to inject water. Hard to see in the picture but it is plugged right now. Ran it for a while today, I need to work on the blast pipe still. Anyway here is a picture of the re-routed gauge line. (also got the gauge down into the bed a good bit)

That's it for today, hopefully some more time tomorrow.
redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA # 1956

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I finally got the new decals on ! WOW ! Thanks again Stan Cedarleaf ! Here are a couple of shots (while the clear-coat is still wet).

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry,
I agree with you about Stan's decals. I just put a set on my combine today and they look like they are painted on. By the way, your truck looks great.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks Carl!
Here is one more shot of the T-1 Railtruck running. I think that she is finished now, so unless there are any unplanned changes this will finish this log. Time to get rolling on the next one ! Keep watch for what the pirates come up with next !

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hi everybody!
I did not expect to be posting anything else to this log......but here we go. I borrowed a camera to take pictures and while learning how to use it I took a video of the T-1 on my test track. So here is I hope a better video than I could do before.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Hi Jerry,
The reason for the "borrowed" camera was to take higher resolution pictures for an article in SitG. I still have not finished it so I am not sure when it might happen. (soon I hope!)
Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Dragging up a post from the past!
The only real issue I have had with the railtruck since I finished it has been the filler valve for the fuel tank. The valve I used was an un-vented valve from an inexpensive butane mini-torch. The valve worked well but as it was not vented the only way i could be sure to fill the tank all the way, was to crack open the fuel valve and fill the tank until I heard liquid coming from the burner. Since the tank is lower than the burner, this meant I was always starting with an over-full fuel tank. This made for some odd lighting procedures where it appeared that I was setting the whole truck on fire. This year at Diamondhead, Richard Jacobs had Accucraft filler valves in the dealer room.....so I decided to take care of this problem. And here it is 5 months later and I am installing the valve. Jim Sanders from Wee Bee Loco made me an adapter to put the valve in my tank. Thanks Rich and Jim! Here is a picture og the new valve installed and the old valve on the left.

Movie shortly!
Larry

121 - 135 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.