101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Thanks Brian!
I didn't know I was one of those!

Hi Bill,
As far as I know we will be in the same place as previous years. I will be arriving Tuesday evening. See you Wed.

redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Hey Bob,
Come on now these pirates may not be wrapped too tight, but even they wouldn't stack dynamite next to a boiler! That's why there are couplers on the truck! Here is a short video of the truck pulling one and then 5 little cars. Gotta go pack the truck for Diamondhead. See you there I hope. Meant to stick a still in here.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The pirates went to Diamondhead and had a FANTASTIC time. I went over on Tuesday and just about ran the wheels off the truck. Here is one of the first runs I made with the truck.

Every time I ran her she ran better, by Thursday night I was topping the boiler off four times with the goodall and running right at thirty minutes. Late one night (all a blur by now) Jim Sanders and I ran the truck on a four foot diameter circle with cars all the way around to the front coupler. I was pleasantly surprised that she had plenty of power to do this so off we went to a bigger track and the truck made laps with twenty cars. I will post pictures and/or videos when I receive them. (I was having too much fun to remember to take pictures!) I entered the truck in the drawbar contest on Saturday and won my class! (single axle) here is the truck running Sunday with the trophy in the bed.

Of course the fact that I was the ONLY entry in the single axle class may have helped me win ! ? ?
All in all a wonderful steam-up for the pirates. Many thanks to Jerry Reshew and all those volunteers that made the show run so smoothly.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hi everybody!
I have not done anything to the truck or the Ruby Mason since I returned from Diamondhead. This is what I have been doing instead.

The truck ran much better than I expected at Diamondhead and I figured out that part of the reason was that I did not have a track to run on here, and could not really judge how things were progressing. So I am building a small (30 feet) test track right outside the door to my workshop. I have several modifications to make to both engines, and they are the type of changes that need to be run for comparisons to previous set-ups. So....... I am putting up this track with any of my "un-allocated" time. I plan on moving the exhaust on the truck into the boiler flue to try and clean up it's messy running habits. I am also going to build a water car to pull behind the truck and pump water to the boiler for longer run times. I will probably build it so that it will work with both and possibly any other engines I build. I picked up a Regner electric water pump at Diamondhead. This year it was worth the trip to Diamondhead just for the "Flea Market". I will start a new thread when I start on the water car. I hope to be posting videos of the truck at Diamondhead soon................

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry, you're going to really like having a track at your door. You will not only be able to test your anticipated modifications, but you'll be able to steam any time you want, night or day, just like at Diamondhead......

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
"Right outside the door to my workshop". Larry, the next step after you complete the track is to run a spur "right into my workshop". Now, I'm not talking from personal experience, or anything like that, or am I???? This then leads to rearranging things inside to make room for more track, and on it goes. Have fun!

Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I got my first track finished today. A small track right outside my shop door for testing things. Track is about 29 feet. Here is the first run on it with the Pirate Railtruck.

I did another video but it is so low resolution I decided not to put it on here. Hopefully I will get some Diamondhead footage sent to me soon and will post that.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Hi All,
Kent, I went to the Accucraft site and checked on the S-12, they say 30 inch radius minimum for curves. The curves on this track are 24 inch radius, BUT they are all separated by 12 inch straights. With the exception of the tiny siding, there is a 30 degree section of curve then 12 or more inches of straight track. I did not note whether your center drivers are blind, if they are it "MIGHT" run on this track. For the time being I only have smaller and/or articulated engines. In fact, I have not yet tried the Ruby/Mason Bogie yet.
Larry,
See above, no big engines on this little track. BUT give me some time......................more to come.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Larry,

Nice track and all that, blah-blah.

Now get back to work on my wife's ring! You are having way to much fun. Only us old retired geezers are supposed to be able to play whenever we want.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yes Larry,

Speaking of rings, how is mine coming along?

I'm thinking if there is any chance of me making DH next year, I need to rededicate the DH coin jar to Karen's jewelery fund. Perhaps that way I can spend a week with trains, and she can get jewelery. I gotta say, when there is live steam, how can decrative ornations compete? Perhaps it's a woman thing, and I'll never understand.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.