G Scale Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
"I'm loving this thing. Any chance of seeing it at DH?"

Hi Kent,
Yes the pirates are coming to Diamondhead, the truck will be there in whatever state of finish it is by then. I hope to get more done before the trip. Thanks for the comment!

redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yeah, can't wait. Fifteen more days till I get off the train in Slidell!!!

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hi everybody!
Good to hear from you Bill, I am looking forward to seeing all the Tallahassee bunch in a few days. I decided that it was time to start the "Krylon Hustle". Per Bob "diesel" Pope that means I am ready to paint the truck. Took her apart first.

Then I started with the cab, here is the cab apart and sanded.

And now it is barely warm enough outside to spray some paint!

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Got some parts painted and got one batch baked, in the picture the top left group (the cab pieces) have been baked. I bake the parts for two hours, so baking is the slowest part. More later!

My plan is to have it pretty well finished before Diamondhead.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks Mark,
It has been too cold to paint for a couple of days(today started out at 38 and reached 60 about 2 PM) and now there is rain in the forecast for the next 4 days. So I painted as many pieces today as I could. I cheat a little bit also, I spray the paint on warm pieces(warmed with 100 watt bulb) outside and immediately bring it into the shop. This way I can use Krylon down to 50-55 degrees F without blushing. It does make for some fumes in the shop but I have 4 separate vent systems installed, so fumes are not bad. Wish I had space to put in a small paint booth......oh well I guess I'd rather buy more steam parts. We do what we have to!

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Hi Everybody!
All the pieces and parts are painted and baked, and the reassembly has begun. I decided to calm down the purple, blue and yellow outfit on the pirate while he was out of the cab. Here is where I am starting my weekend.

My goal is to get her assembled this weekend. lol

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It's not finished yet but I have made a lot of headway on the reassembly. Here is where I am at the end of my Saturday workday.

I would have had the boiler in, but the insulation on the steam line to the lubricator comes little too high up the line and keeps it from aligning with the throttle valve. Not a big problem but the paint on the insulation is wet, so it's a good place to stop today.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Larry
Having seen the completed body along with the entire power system it will become an inspiration for us to pull out the old Delton rail truck and make a steam powered rail truck. Their available the small

engines that might be able to retrofitted:

Ministeam

Always good to have a project or two on the drawing board.

Enjoy Diamondhead

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well All Right!
Looks like the pirate railtruck will go to Diamondhead with a paint job. I got all the pieces back together and have none left-over. (I am pretty sure that's a good thing!) I will try and get some lettering done but right now I am just happy she is back together.I will wait a day or two before steaming to let all the paint settle down. That will still give me some time if anything is not assembled right or if .............???? Note ol' redbeard in the first picture!

That's enough for tonight!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry, it looks great! Perhaps in MS, something can be done about the bright brass gears and chain. I'll bring something along, see ya in a week or so. I can't wait to meet you!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Another neat Critter for your stable! Sorry that I will not see it run at DH--we are going to Cabin fever this year.
I'll bet that what Kent is proposing for the brass gears and chain is Neolube graphite coating, which is intended for applications such as this. Unless you prefer the bright brass, of course--it's your critter.

Have a great time at DH.

Larry

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Hey Kent,
I look forward to meeting you next week. I had not given much thought to the shiny brass chain and gears (except I knew paint would not work), but they do kind of stand out.

Hey Larry,

Sorry you won't be down this year, but I certainly understand about the distances. I hope you enjoy Cabin Fever, and hope to see you somewhere down the road.

I got some logo decals made and installed today. From the looks of it I think the pirates are planning on hauling some dynamite to their mine.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Wow Larry, That has been quite a trip and evolution. I'm proud of you for sticking with it through all the problems and iterations. A job well done and a great and very unusual vehicle. Congradulations!!! Have fun at Dimond Head. Wish I could be there, maybe next year with a finished Mason Bogie!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Can't wait to see the ol'pirate truck in action! We'll be in Diamondhead Wed. evening, will you be setting up shop where you usually do?. Looking forward to lots of fun and good times. (And maybe a beer or two)
Bill Boyle
SA#767

81 - 100 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.