G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Today I have only had a little time this afternoon to "play with trains", but I did finish mounting the front beam.

No coupler yet, I made a pattern to cast a single pocket link and pin coupler but have not cast the plug or made the mold yet. The coupler will be in my next batch of castings, along with a journal for building my Dynamite car. I'll post pictures when they are cast. I hope to get back out here after dinner and get started on the truck bed......but we'll see what else pops up and demands my time.
redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hi Henner,
Thanks for the comment. No secrets to my castings, I am a jeweler in "real life" and have been doing lost wax casting for over twenty years. I have all the equipment for modeling in wax, casting, and making vulcanized rubber molds to do duplicate casting. So far I have only done a few train related items in brass, but as I need things I will make molds if it is practical to do so. I have been thinking of building a sterling Loco for a long time...................

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
This is the first update on building the stake body on the Pirate railtruck. First I disassembled the bed down to the point where I could solder on the edges of it. Then I cut some 1/4 inch square brass tubing to use as stake pockets. I soldered them to the bed.

Next I sawed up some stakes to fit the pockets. I know that these are way over scale, but I do want this truck take some abuse. Later they will not look so big I hope.

That is where I am at the start of my day. More later, but maybe not today.(life keeps intruding on the train work)

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well I got the bed built! The sides are all wood, but because of the heat and "occasional flame" issue I built a brass front-gate. This will keep the diecast cab from getting scorched, I mean "weathered" ! hehehe

Getting real close to calling it ready for paint. Time to take a step back and consider what else the truck might need.

redbeard AKA Larry Newman

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry,
Very nice job and a fun project to watch. What else does your truck need? Perhaps a driver.. and he'll be well protected from the "weather."

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hey Carl and Jim,
Either of you (or any one else) know where I can get an engineer in about 1/25 size ?
PREFER an engineer who is also a PIRATE! hehehe.............

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry,
Check out Rob Bennet in England at:

http://robbennett.org/

You can get one ready made and painted, unpainted or, Rob will make you one to suit your needs. I had him make a driver for my 7/8ths tram. I sent him the seat and cab measurments and the results were fantastic. You might have to wait a while for him to make one, but the wait is worth it. Rob can even reproduce your likeness. Rob takes Pay Pal, making payment easy.

Or, you can buy a figure and rebend him to fit your solution. This is a Hallmark figure bent to fit in an AMS boxcar door.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Looks like he could use some dental work. I don't remember your hair, or lack of it, being similar to him either!

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I still have not cast the front coupler, so I decided to start the painting process. First I cut new wood for the boiler lagging, since the first ones had been"flame weathered" so badly. Then I disassembled the boiler and painted all the pieces, and reassembled it.

Then I painted the stake body the color the truck will eventually be painted.

Nice to hear from you Bruce, sounds like you are almost your ornery old self again!

That's all for today.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hi everybody!
I am still here! It has been a long time since I have taken any time with the railtruck. I finally got the coupler cast and made a mold from it to reproduce it. Hope to get a lot more done on the truck before Diamondhead! here is the coupler;

Will post more as I get things made.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Larry,

It appears that the coupler is cast in Silver. Your truck may come up missing in DH! Lots of us need to replenish our portfolios.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Worked on the truck some more today. I found some pirate figures! This poor fella has a BIG hook for a left hand, but I figure there's no steering in a railtruck so he'll be all right.

Could not get him to stay bent even with heat, so I drilled up through the heels of his pointy toed boots all the way up to his chest and put some brass rods in.

Then I was able to bend him into a sitting position and have him stay. So I built a floor and a seat back and now I have a RED BEARDED pirate in the cab of the truck!

More to come!

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Hi everybody!
Got a little more done today. Added some steps for the short-legged pirates to climb up in the truck cab.(using up more Ruby parts
) Also took care of the axle stubs on the front axle. Several people have asked me about them, long term plans are to cast some spoke wheels. That does not seem to be happening very quickly so I cut off the stubs.

more as it comes.....starting to think paint!

61 - 80 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.