G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Larry,
From the last photo it looks like you are adding a water gauge, plus I have notice a few extra holes in the boiler top? I found out that the fill bushing that comes with the boiler kit is threaded on the inside the same thread as the Wilesco safety valve,(it is also the same thread and fitting as a lampshade retainer).
Regards,
Gerald

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Larry,
Did you do a hydrostatic test on the fuel tank? I was told to test any butane/propane tank to 350 psi. A fuel tank is a pressure vessel the same as a boiler is and should be tested to twice the working pressure. a 70/30 or a 60/40 butane mix have pressures of 145 and 165psig (10 and 11 bar) respectively. Straight propane will reach 260psig (18 bars).
Regards,
Gerald

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Larry,
If you have a feed water pump they will usually do for testing. You can also fill the tank with cold water plug all openings except one install a gauge in it and put the tank in hot water. I have tested Boilers this way up to 60psi. Also the higher the % of Butane the lower the pressure with temp. change.
Regards,
Gerald

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.