G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Posted By redbeard on 09/02/2008 8:53 PM
As Dwight would say;
Basically it's a wrapper that is spaced out from the boiler to let the burner heat the outside of the boiler as well as the flue.

redbeard AKA Larry Newman

Well, just think what will happen if you insulate that outside wrapper and even keep more heat surrounding your boiler. Nice job, Larry.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Posted By redbeard on 09/03/2008 5:47 AM
Hey Howard,
Also will add a spiral flue retarder to "grab" a little more heat from the fire. Then maybe I can get her to steam well enough to move on to the rest of construction.
redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

The "retarder" in the flue is a good idea. Here's something I remember reading about in one of the old Boiler Construction books from England, which I have now misplaced.

To add some more efficiency to the capture of heat, try adding up/down tubes to the exterior of your boiler & then cladding it all with your insulated outer brass shell. It will add some water volume and will put more copper surface in contact with water in the heated exhaust stream.

Here's a rough sketch:

Just a thought!!

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
You're getting to that point where you can see how much you railtruck will haul, right??? Really looking great. The radiant burner coil is very clever.
I'm anxiously waiting to see what treatment you give the truck bed...wood stakes and rails or solid brass sideboards or ....

Again, nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.