G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a newbie. I posted a rather thorough intro in the 'battery/rc' forum, then had another thought.

I'm just starting to scratchbuild my RR, and my first project is a line engine converted to a stationary power plant. I need some sort of hole filler/body putty. I'm retired and there are no hobby shops near me, so I'd prefer mail order. I've found several different types, all of which seem to excel one another, according to their sellers. I want just a general purpose filler. Can someone recommend a source and brand?

Thank you,
Les Whitaker

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
For the big holes use plain old Bondo (that's what we have in the US, Ralph). For small gaps and holes Squadron putty is the stuff you want. It comes in white and green. The white matches styrene better but the green goes on smoother.

-Brian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since he can't get to a hobby shop, then the bondo route is the best. There are 2 versions. The lighter pink that you mix hardener in which might be ok for really big areas and then there is the darker stuff that comes in a tube like Squadron Green and goes on the same. I use it for fine stuff too. At one point in time Squadron Green was made by Bondo but seems to be a different company now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts