G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I'm super new and I got a bachmann's suwannee river for less than $10. My son and I put it together with excitement and once we figured out how to put the power to the tracks, it was on....until we hit full speed. I know it won't be a rocket ship but it has to be the slowest train in the world. Can I take apart the engine and rebuild it? I've not looked for kits yet and I thought I'd ask you guys first. I don't have much money, totally not an understatement, so I'll be doing this on a huge tiny budget. I'd like to have it done so we can do a christmas train finally.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Hey Josh,
welcome to MLS! :)

It probably doesnt need to be rebuilt..
speed is a result of voltage..
you probably have an under-powered powerpack..
whatever the cause of slowness, it is most likely not the locomotive..
could be dirty track, but its most likely the power pack..

it *could* be the locomotive! if its really old, it might need some lubrication..

But first..How slow are we talking?
how does it compare to this video?

If its about as fast as that, then its running normally!
but let us know if its significantly slower..in which case you probably need a better powerpack..
the ones that come with the trainsets are pretty "low end" units..

Scot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched that video too and the engine by itself is about 1/4 that speed. With just the coal it was crawling. So I'm going to guess new power pack. Expensive?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Do you have a digital camera? If it's the first time you've torn down an engine, taking lots of pix as you disassemble it will help you immensely with getting the thing BACK together. To clean and re-lubricate it you shouldn't need to do much more than remove the bottom cover.

For slow running FIRST I'll ask are you using the Bachmann tin track... it has a LOT of drag on the curves. If it speeds up quite a bit on the straightaways, this might be much of your problem

Then, since it's used, I'd look for carpet fibres and hair wrapped around the axles and crankpins. This is actually a common problem with trains that were run mostly under the xmas tree.

While you have it apart, clean the wheels both tread and the back side where the brushes make contact, regular rubbing alcohol on a q-tip works pretty well for "black crud". If it's really bad, a cheap toothbrush might be required.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Do you have access to a volt meter? If you can measure the voltage on the track, that would help us help you. There should be a lablel on the power supply that says the out put voltage. Most "G" engines need more than 12 volts. Chuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea chuck to check the voltage. I've put it up now but next time I'll make sure to check it. The train was used by the tracks look great. Super bright chrome but maybe my connection to the track with the weird plastic piece that touches both rails.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Joshua,

As a last resort, you can send it to me and I will diagnose the issues, let you know and then correct them. Anything expensive (not likely) and you don't want me to mess with it, I'll just send it back on my nickel. If I can fix it I will send it back to you on my nickel.

Barry

email: [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts