G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of an article or thread here on making a display track for a static loco display? Wood base, track with roadbed & details (ie, weeds, grass, etc.) for 1:20, 1:32 or 1:19 scales, 45mm track. I do not want simply a track on a wood base.

Sorry I don't have a picture for an example. Maybe if anyone has photos of one(s) they built, it would be great to see what other's have done. I've never done any structure or model landscaping before being a live steamer.

Are there any modellers who build or would custom build these for sale?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Chris,

Here's a display I built for an HO scale loco

Granted, it's a bit smaller than 45mm, but it gives an idea of what's possible.

I started with a pre-made plaque (purchased from Wal-Mart), added a rectangle of foam core surrounded by 1/4" square strip wood, and stained and varnished the whole thing. The I glued down the track, added rail joiners, painted the rails, and added ballast.

I've done the same thing in O scale, using a poplar board which I bevelled the edges of, and used the scraps to cut my own ties. Again, stain and varnish, then lay the rails and ballast.

I might be able to build a display base for you, if you decide you don't want to do it yourself. E-mail me with some details if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Here is one I built for On2 scale:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/On2/On2-coach-page5.html

Scale is irrelevant in this case..
all you need to do is put some track on a board, paint it, ballast it,
add whatever little bits of scenery you like..and done!

just like you would do on any "regular" indoor model railroad in any scale..
I think of a display track as a tiny piece of finished model railroad, lifted off the layout and put on a board..

For brass large scale track, just painting the sides of the brass rail a dirty brown color goes a LONG way to making it look better!

For a a short display track, hand-layiing the track on real wood ties would also look very nice..especially in large scale!
each tie can be "distressed", grain added with the edge of a saw..dip it in a wash of india ink, and spike it down..

Scot

Scot

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Gary,

Thank you for the link to the building of your locomotive display base. The photos are self-explanatory and easy to follow. That's exactly what I needed to build my display for my Accucraft #346 steamer. THX for the help.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts