1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Rectangle Plank Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Art Metal

Wood Automotive tire Gas Font Flooring

I started making G scale logs for my friends and to sell this past year. They have a resin outer shell and hard foam inside. I hand paint them so each log is a little different from each other.
Does anyone else make G scale logs?
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Billbivs
Wood Rectangle Plank Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Art Metal
Wood Automotive tire Gas Font Flooring

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very NIce. Can you tell us in more detail how you make them ?

Thank you
Hey Jackpeter1. Thanks for your comment.
I have made four different sizes/lengths of molds for making logs. They are 10”, 10 1/4”, 13”, and 15” long to accommodate the different lengths of log cars. The molds are made of silicone mold material.
I start by painting each half of the mold. I use the paint as a mold release and to give the log a first coat of paint. The two part resin sticks to the paint not the mold. I roll the mold after I put the resin in it to make the resin coat the entire inside of the mold.
Once the resin sets, I pull the plug I’ve made in the end of the mold and pour in the two part expanding foam and it fills the inside of the log to make it light weight but also durable. After the foam sets I remove the log from the mold and clean the slash from it.
The rest is just painting the logs so they look as realistic as I can get them.
It’s kind of a slow process but so far I’ve gotten good responses about them. A set of three long logs only weigh 1 pound, so if your pulling real wood logs, they can get quit heavy on a long train. These logs eliminate all that weight the locomotives are having to pull and look pretty good at the same time.
What do you think would be a good price for 1 load/3 logs? I can’t find anyone that makes them. I’ve seen some nice logs on AMS and Accucraft cars. No one seems to sell just the logs.
Let me know what you think.
Billbivs

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Accucrraft used to make logs that look a lot like yours. I searched and finally found some on a Reindeer Pass page. All out of stock of course but it shows prices FWIW.

Hope this helps

Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys. I really appreciate the input.
I looked up Reindeer Pass RR and it looks like the logs my friend had. He accidentally dropped one of the logs and it shattered. The logs I’m making won’t shatter because their filled with hard foam and covered with hard resin.

No I’m not the person on eBay that is selling the logs. That looked more like a few sticks glued together with hot glue 🫤.
I’m really thinking of putting some of my logs on eBay. Kinda interested in seeing what they will go for.
I’m filling an order now for a friend and plan to put three log loads on eBay next week.
We’ll see what happens.
Thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice work Bill. Although to my eye, the bark structure is way too course for LS logs. Like Pete, I too go to nature to find my log loads. I am partial to Chinese Tallow (Popcorn Trees). Cut them under 4 inch diameter and they have a nice size bark. The end grain is also much more 'scale' looking than most. This first pic is a salvage that resembles a stump.
Ruler Office ruler Font Circle Artifact

Here are a couple still on the stump waiting for me to cut them up. I included the tape measure to provide a sense of scale.
Plant Botany Tree Terrestrial plant Wood

Plant Tree Branch Wood Terrestrial plant

The real deal is heavier than the artificial stuff, but I only run 3-5 car consists so I don't see it as a detriment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work Bill. Although to my eye, the bark structure is way too course for LS logs. Like Pete, I too go to nature to find my log loads. I am partial to Chinese Tallow (Popcorn Trees). Cut them under 4 inch diameter and they have a nice size bark. The end grain is also much more 'scale' looking than most. This first pic is a salvage that resembles a stump. View attachment 64706

Here are a couple still on the stump waiting for me to cut them up. I included the tape measure to provide a sense of scale.
View attachment 64709

View attachment 64710

The real deal is heavier than the artificial stuff, but I only run 3-5 car consists so I don't see it as a detriment.
Hey armorsmith.
Your right. Mother Nature makes the best logs, but the right tree or log isn’t always what you have available unfortunately.
Im just trying to make available nice looking logs for those of us that don’t have the real thing available.
Thanks for your comments.
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I saw some at a friends that looked fantastic. He takes a commercial dowel and using a sheet rock saw, scores it length wise. Since it is done by hand no two are alike, and the bark has the correct texture and scale. I won't see him till Wednesday, if interested will take a pic or 2.
EDIT: forgot to mention he then stains them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here in Eastern Canada, we have "Whie Cedar" that grows like weeds all over the place, often used for hedges, and fence posts.
The smaller branches look great when trimmed and cut to appropriate lengths, then sprayed with a clear flat preservative... of course, letting the wood dry first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sorry....my enjoyment of hobbies, does not include photography...I don't own a cell telephone or a camera.
Possibly I can get someone to take a picture of a branch from a Cedar, and post it on the OVGRS web page.
FJM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts