G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone probably asked this, but I'm always late so here goes: does anyone know which real railroad was used in "There Will Be Blood?" I tried to see some signs of where it was filmed, but didn't see anything recognizable. An OK movie, but too cruel. And the ending seemed kinda contrived--like they couldn't figure out how to get out of it. Also, the film, loosely based on Upton Sinclair's book, "Oil," is supposed to be set in Signal Hill, California, which is really a giant hill, unlike what's depicted in the film. Yeah, I know, it's fiction, but I don't care. Besides, "Juno" was way better.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
RE: Real trains in movie "There Will Be Blood" ?

The railroad shots were made in Marfa, Tx, same time that "Old Men" was being shot. Both are wonderful flims.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

Great film, read my signiture.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 05/04/2008 12:06 PM
Great film, read my signiture.

Supposedly, that dialog came from a congressional hearing over the Teapot Dome scandal.

Now it is the butt of of YouTube and the like. Some are funny and well done(There will be Bud) and others are strange (one done by two four year old girls).

Anyhow, according to a TWBB fansite, the loco is a 1907 Baldwin owned by the Reader Railroad in Ark.

Photos here: http://www.readerrailroad.com/galleries/PresideoTransport

Related, I got a Bachmann Porter in the mail, the little rubber engineer looks a lot like Plainview.....

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts

Could someone please elaborate on what you are talking about? Even just a web address to some specifics would help... what UToob's, etc, ???

Thanks (I bet there are others that are a clueless as I on this!)

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts

I posted the link for the photos of the loco, there are YouTube videos of the locos there from Reader, just search under Reader Railroad and they will turn up.

As far as the movie, the Milkshake stuff on YouTube will not make much sense if you have not seen the film. Again, just search under the title of the film, Daniel Plainview, I drink your milksake, etc.

Harder to find is this one, so here is the link, a good Lego model of the first well from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9wyKVDJt0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts