G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My son Nick is a G Scaler as am I. I am a proud Dad, because he is a member of the Denver Garden Railway Society and his railroad will be featured at the G Scale National Convention next summer. It will also be in the next issue of Garden Railways Magazine.

Here are some great snow plowing shots on his mainline:

Video one shows the actual plowing of the line with an Aristocraft plow and Four USA Trains diesels in order to clear the way for the California Zephyr. (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Y5fJGrJ3k

Video two shows a USA Trains California Zephyr carving its way through the canyons of snow created by the plow. It also makes the full loop, including straight through the house via the crawlspace. (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXkaGgs1cI

Video three shows a complete circuit of the line by the California Zephyr from the engineers perspective (on board). A nice wide angle lens keeps the rails in sight 100% of the time. This in a little faster than I normally go, I was shooting for a scale 55 mph. (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH62n2-Pumo

He is also heavily into Bachmann 1:20.3
Enjoy

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great videos Bill, thanks for sharing.

The last couple of years we've gotten some amount of ice build up before each snow so I haven't had a lot of luck with plowing/blowing myself.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Great videos....really like that cab ride. You should try film a cab ride from the plow train...that would be really excitiung. Great videos...

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys & Thanks Mike on the cab Idea maybe he can mount the camera on the hood of the lead diesel. I will pass on the tip. He will probably go for it as he seems to be into the snowplowing business every chance he gets!!

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Thanks for the great pics. My days of plowing are few and far between. Maybe this year as the weather is coder than normal and just maybe we may get snow. Later RJD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great vids Bill, especially the on-board. Having a little "seat time" in a GP-9 I got the feel of the real thing through your vid. The clickityclack on the rails, flang noise, switch crossing clatter, etc. is the real thing. Nice layout...

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan,

All the Diesels are USA Trains, My son runs the heck out of them and they have been very reliable compared to the german brand and the other major US seller. The ABBB is the way the Rio Grande often ran their part of the Zephyr. The first three are EMD F units and the fourth is an Alco PB.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys.

John, we will have to ask God to work on that scale snowflake thing!! You think she will??? grin grin roll eyes, etc. Don't know why but all my smiley things disapeared!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts