G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have observed the three light color signals on the old Reading, now SEPTA Railroad here in Southeastern Pa. As I was driving by the Glenside Station today, the signal just at the exit of the station was blinking green. What does this tell the engineer to do?

· Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 10/11/2008 7:01 PM
If I am driving on the highway, a flashing red means I have to stop before I can go... does a flashing green mean I have to go before I can stop?

Brilliant! Your sense of reason never astounds me. Why did I not think of that?

· Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted By Greg Stevens on 10/11/2008 12:50 AM
I don't believe I ever saw a flashing green in my 30 yrs of RR service. I have seen a lot of flashing yellows which means that the next signal will be a solid yellow and the next red, so you better slow down your train. Possibly a flashing green is a signal malfunction or it might mean that the next signal will be a flashing yellow. I don't really know. BTW, was there possibly another light associated with the flashing green? Like a solid red or solid yellow? That would indicate that a diverging route was imminent.

Not that I could see from the street.

· Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By ohioriverrailway on 10/11/2008 11:16 AM
Some of the light rail systems use a flashing green to indicate a clear track on a diverging route, but I've never seen one on a "regular" railroad either.

I don't know if the SEPTA commuter trains are considered light rail. My guess is that they are not.

· Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I drove by Glenside station today, I was able to see the signal more clearly. There is a red light on the disk below the one with the green flashing light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.