G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this day and age of few steam excursions, it is refreshing to see that at least one railroad is running public excursions behind steam locomotives this summer.

The Reading and Northern recently outshopped their 4-6-2 #425 with a centered headlight, and striking blue paint scheme. Videos have been circulating on Youtube since the December 31 steam up. Now, with the posted dates, it appears that there are a few ways to enjoy this rare opportunity.

Some of the routes include the Lehigh Gorge, and two offer a ride over the Nicholson Viaduct. While the Fall trips have layovers in the sleepy hamlet of Jim Thorpe. I know that MLSers are all over the place, but if any are traveling or planning a trip to PA/NJ/NY this year, these trips are pretty convinient to most of the other major attractions in Eastern PA.

Go to http://www.readingnorthern.com/passenger.shtml for the complete listing.

As a side note, MB gave me a pass and Chris France, Luke and I will be on the Sept 6 excursion Jim Thorpe to Pittston and back. We did the Lehigh Gorge Scenic RR a few years ago, and it was a really spectacular ride. I have high hopes for this ride, and it looks like the track speed will be up!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Benny,

I was kind of surprised by the price of the Pullman myself. It wasn't much more than a coach seat! I was glad to see this engine in steam again. Last time I saw it was in the early 1990s when they were still running the Hamburg line with a regular schedule. At that time, we rode in a dome car, and it was pretty neat. Still prefer the open window coaches. We got the last Pullman compartment for the Sept 6 run. Hope it isn't too hot that day.

I'll be sure to post some pictures here of the excursion. I'm excited about it, but it is still a 3 months away! I hope these excursions do well. That'll mean more (hopefully) in the future.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts