G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone done this? As far as I can tell the wheels must be shrunk/pressed on - I haven't tried a puller on them yet, it looks like a one-way experiment, but the only options seem like either that, and hope not to damage the axle, or cut the wheels off (and hope not to damage the axle..).  Then there's fitting the new ones..

Thanks,

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Each half axle is pushed straight into the sleeve on the pinion gear, but it is a very tight fit. The fit is so tight it is not unusual to see a split in the gear sleeve. Unfortunately that will allow the axle and wheel to slip under load. Over time the axle will work its way out of gauge, wobble and cause derailments. If you can turn a wheel with your fingers, the gear sleeve is split.

I repair mine with monofilament fishing line and Super Glue. When replacing the axles, there is a stop in the sleeve so the wheels are evenly spaced and properly gauged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - If I need to repair any, at least I know how to now.  Looks like voluntarily changing the wheels (I had some nice 38mm 10-spoked ones, with con-rods, in mind) is a non-starter, it'd be easier to start fresh..

Thanks again.

·
Super Modulator
21,149 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Greg is correct. I have about 40 USA locos and 99% of them the gauge is correct, but I do have a few that with the wheels pressed all the way into the axle they are to tight back to back. So watch what you do or you will have problems at turnouts for sure. 

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts