G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday Wesley Furman and I got together to install some radio control. We are both using Spectrum DX6, his is the later i model. I had done some preliminary work on my Ruby/Forney so we spent most of the day working on Wesley's Lilly Belle. We got everything working using my reciever and transmitter. Wesley will have to install his own RC in his loco. Today I finished the installation on the Forney. Here are some pictures of my installation. (Sorry, didn't get any of the Lilly Belle)

The servo installation, I used HiTec HS-81MG servos

Here you see the servos plus the back wall of the cab showing the charge plug and on/off switch. In the off postion the battery can be charged. The reciever is hanging off to the right.

Here is the tender with battery installed (with Velcro), the reciever, left center, will be mounted inside the back wall of the tender using Velcro.

The tender installed

The cab installed

Now I need a calm day to try it out. Tomorrow is supposed to be less windy.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Winn,

Nice work - especially the brackets.

I note you have adjustable connectors between the servo & throttle arms and the rod - are they standard r/c parts, or did you find them elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete, the brackets are pretty simple, just cut out of brass sheet with a band saw. The connectors are standard RC parts, about a dozen in a bag for something like $5.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the Forney on Monday and the RC worked very nicely. One slight problem, the servo will not completely shut off the throttle, too much drag. However this does not seem to be a big problem as the loco can be stopped simply by putting the J-bar in neutral. The j-bar can also be used to control the speed although it is pretty touchy doing that. Working the throttle and J-bar together makes the loco very controlable. I think I will be very happy with this setup and the range is great even though the antennas are inside the brass sheathed tender. No more barrel rolls off down hill curves!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts