G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:
I need help in getting a list of Jobs on the Railroad. I am hosting our Garden Rail Clubs Meeting in July and we are inviting an other club to join us. For a mixer and get to know everyone we wanted to play "Whats My Job". We would like to get everyone to pick a railroad job out of a hat and then have the rest of the attendants ask 5 questions to try and guess their Job. So I need a list of as many Railroad Jobs as I can get.
Hope it will be a lot of fun. Even names like Hogger for engineer would be good.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Just few I recall form my youth.

Division Engineer: Engineering depatrment offcial, highest management level position in the field for that dept. Responsible for roadbed, buildings and bridges on a specified division or sub-division.

Trainmaster: Operations department official in the field. responsible for crew staffing, schedules of trains, and oversees all moving operstions on a division or sub-division.

System Engineer. Head office management of Engineering dept. All Divisions Enginees report to System Engineer. Responsible for roadbed, buildings and bridges for the entire railroad. Highest ranking official without a VP status.

That's all the non-obvious ones I can think of this early...

Obvious ones...

Brakeman
Switchman
Fireman
Engineer
Dispatcher
Flagman
Section hand
Section gang leader
Machine operator
welder (shop and rail)
Surveyor
B&B Maintence (bridge & building)
Hulsher cleanup crew....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Thanks guys for the quick replies. What a great list I have to get started with. I think I still need a few more though.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have some old Railroad Employee's Time Recording Books from the late forties and early fifties. They list these jobs:
(from 1948)
Conductors
Brakemen
Switchmen
Baggagemen
Car retarder operators
Electric helpers
Enginemen
Firemen

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Bruce,

How about a few British railroad job descriptions. These don't include the bosses who were usually in an office or some of the specialized jobs and more than likely many don't exist anymore, but these are from the steam era in particular the Great Western Railway.
Driver - Wheel Tapper - Guard - Signalman - Relief Signalman -Shunter - Cleaner - Passed Cleaner - Fireman - Passed Fireman - Station Master - Porter - Lad Porter - Porter-Signalman - Booking Office Clerk - Goods Clerk - Ticket Collector - Ticket Inspector - Permanent Way Inspector - Ganger - Linesman - Lengthsman - Carriage Cleaner - Shed Foreman - and none of this includes carpenters, painters and some other specialized trades. It just goes to show how many people the steam era railroads employed. In the UK the railways were, in many places, the principal employer: they also provided housing, schools, hospitals and many social amenities. In small towns and villages the Station Master (Station Agent) was a prominent citizen and it was his part of his job to drum up trade for the railway.
I expect one or two other UK residents may add (or ammend) my list but it is a start. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Lamp boy, lamp trimmer, workshop superintendent.

My wife's grandfather, Henry Rushton, went from first to last over a period of about forty years in the Great Western Railway workshops in Chester.

tac

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Just a couple of more for ya.

Roadmaster. One who is in charge of the local track maintenance

Track Supv . One who makes the FRA track inspections

Track inspector, Another name for a person that does FRA track inspections.

Switch tender. One who maintains switches in a yard.

Road foreman of engines. One who monitors locomotive engineers and qualifies them for a territory.

Later RJD

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can give you some names ^^

Locomotive Engineer - That is what I do, run the trains. Engineers are also referred to as Hogheads, Throttle Jockeys, Runners, and if you are real unlucky Appleknockers.

Conductor/Brakeman - This job title refers to a switchperson who works on the road and is essentially in charge of the train.

Switchman/Foreman - This job refers to a switchperson who works locally in a Yard. Foreman is in charge of the yard job and the Switchman aids the foreman by strategically throwing switches for him and helping him couple up blocks of cars.

Utility Man - This job refers to someone who arms E.O.Ts on the end of departing road trains

Herder - This job refers to someone who lines switches for inbound trains to keep them moving and elliminate the train's Conductor from having to dismount the train and throw the switches.

Retarder - This job is the person who activates retarders in a Hump Yard.

Yardmaster - This job is in charge of calling the shots for yard jobs, giving them their work, and overseeing their progress. There can be multiple Yardmasters in charge of different areas of the same yard.

Trainmaster - This is the person who is in charge of a section of the railroad, either on the road or in the yard, who makes sure the trains are departing in a timely fashion and taking care of any problems that arise.

Road Foreman of Engines - This is the person in charge of training, disciplining, and providing information for Engineers.

Train Dispatcher - This is the person who typically sits at a computer and lines trains into and out of sidings, designates train meets, provides permission to operate main line switches, and gives a train permission to enter main track territory.

R.C.O. (Remote Control Operator) - This is a job designed to terminate other jobs. It is basically a Foreman who was given a remote control box to eliminate the need for Engineers as well as Switchmen in Yard service.

Cub - This is an employee in training.

Turned Loose - This is an employee that has completed training and is marked up to perform service.

Foamer - This is an employee who works for the railroad and is generally teased and made fun of by other employees because they love trains.

In The Closet - This refers to a Foamer that doesn't want anyone at the railroad to know they love trains lest they be the victim of ridicule.

Oldhead - This refers to someone who has been at the railroad before I was even born and they are close to retirement.

Crewcaller - This is the person who also sits at a computer and calls people at their homes to get their butts into work.

Switchtender - This is someone who is called on rare occasions to line switches for trains on the main line when the switches loose power because of Storms or Curfews. (Curfews are times when main line track is being repaired)

Hostlers - This is a crew that prepares consists of locomotives and attaches them to outbound trains and serve to elliminate unnecessary loss of time and promote timely train departures.

Clerk - This is someone who drives railroaders to their trains and from their trains. They also tidy up dirty railroad environments.

Dead - This refers to a railroad employee that has reached 12 hours on duty and can no longer by law perform service. (example: Hey Charlie, are you guys dead yet?")

If I can think of some more I will let you know but this should help out ^^

-Will

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Posted By Engineercub on 07 Jan 2009 07:32 PM

Locomotive Engineer - That is what I do, run the trains. Engineers are also referred to as Hogheads, Throttle Jockeys, Runners, and if you are real unlucky Appleknockers.

Conductor/Brakeman - This job title refers to a switchperson who works on the road and is essentially in charge of the train.

Switchman/Foreman - This job refers to a switchperson who works locally in a Yard. Foreman is in charge of the yard job and the Switchman aids the foreman by strategically throwing switches for him and helping him couple up blocks of cars.

Utility Man - This job refers to someone who arms E.O.Ts on the end of departing road trains

Herder - This job refers to someone who lines switches for inbound trains to keep them moving and elliminate the train's Conductor from having to dismount the train and throw the switches.

Retarder - This job is the person who activates retarders in a Hump Yard.

Yardmaster - This job is in charge of calling the shots for yard jobs, giving them their work, and overseeing their progress. There can be multiple Yardmasters in charge of different areas of the same yard.

Trainmaster - This is the person who is in charge of a section of the railroad, either on the road or in the yard, who makes sure the trains are departing in a timely fashion and taking care of any problems that arise.

Road Foreman of Engines - This is the person in charge of training, disciplining, and providing information for Engineers.

Train Dispatcher - This is the person who typically sits at a computer and lines trains into and out of sidings, designates train meets, provides permission to operate main line switches, and gives a train permission to enter main track territory.

R.C.O. (Remote Control Operator) - This is a job designed to terminate other jobs. It is basically a Foreman who was given a remote control box to eliminate the need for Engineers as well as Switchmen in Yard service.

Cub - This is an employee in training.

Turned Loose - This is an employee that has completed training and is marked up to perform service.

Foamer - This is an employee who works for the railroad and is generally teased and made fun of by other employees because they love trains.

In The Closet - This refers to a Foamer that doesn't want anyone at the railroad to know they love trains lest they be the victim of ridicule.

Oldhead - This refers to someone who has been at the railroad before I was even born and they are close to retirement.

Crewcaller - This is the person who also sits at a computer and calls people at their homes to get their butts into work.

Switchtender - This is someone who is called on rare occasions to line switches for trains on the main line when the switches loose power because of Storms or Curfews. (Curfews are times when main line track is being repaired)

Hostlers - This is a crew that prepares consists of locomotives and attaches them to outbound trains and serve to elliminate unnecessary loss of time and promote timely train departures.

Clerk - This is someone who drives railroaders to their trains and from their trains. They also tidy up dirty railroad environments.

Dead - This refers to a railroad employee that has reached 12 hours on duty and can no longer by law perform service. (example: Hey Charlie, are you guys dead yet?")

-Will

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 07 Jan 2009 07:32 PM

-Will

Will,
These are some of the best 'names' from your list! I always enjoyed telling people outside of the RR that I was dead, and they would look at me with a crazy face, and wonder what I was smoking.
Don't you find it interesting that you never really know if your an old head until someone else calls you one! I've only been around for 7 years and would not consider myself and old head, but then I get some junior guys working with me and they think I'm this super old head cause I know what I'm doing, but yet there are guys working their that have 40+ years and to me thier the old heads. All a matter of persepective I guess. Speaking of RFE's the other day I had to have a check ride, and what do you know the RFE chewed me out for violating some rule (what a shock!)

Craig

1 - 20 of 37 Posts