G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make a radiant burner following the instructions of Kevin O'Connor in the Southern Steam Trains web site.

http://www.southernsteamtrains.com/notes/radiantpokerburners.htm

I am not sure where I heard it, but someone recommended to use Nichrome woven cloth instead of stainless steel.

Does anyone have experience with the life of stainless steel in the radiant burners. Obviously Nichrome will take the heat better, but are we talking about 50 firings or 100 firings or more before stainless steel needs to be change.
I ask this question because the stainless steel woven cloth is much less expensive.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
170 Posts
As described in detail in Steam in the Garden, I have proven that even a numbskull can successfully make poker burbers raidate. I did my Cricket, Edrig, and Shay with stainelss steel -- I think the 80 x 80 mesh -- I also sewed the wrappers together with pieces of stainless wire. I have probably run the Cricket 30-40 times, Edrig 25-30 and the Shay about 15 since then with no noticeable deterioration on any of them.

Kevin is indeed the man on raidance. I found that the mesh also disrupted otherwise intolerable harmonics, e.g., the dreaded Ruby/Cricket wail.

I am sold on radiance, even if a little slow to sort it out. Be sure the mesh is "tented" above the burner slots, so it has room to radiate. Also, be sure you keep a close eye on your water until you get used to the results. A radiant burner gets much more heat out of the same amount of gas and can run a boiler dry which previously had no problem.

Regards and goodluck, Mike

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Dan,

I have had Nichrome mesh in a Aster K-4 burner for over 5 years now, and the engine has been run quite extensively. The mesh has yet to show signs of fatigue, although the bailing wire I initially used did bite the dust within a few months. The solution found was to use hard music or stainless steel wire. So far this engine has had consistent runs of over 60 min on a single tank of fuel, more than double the previous 30+ min with the stock poker burner.

I have also managed to fit radiant pokers into accucraft twin flue engines and these too see a dramatic decrease in fuel consumption. However, the few I have done are quite touchy when initially lighting the mesh, or when trying to re-light, and I am not sold on using the accucraft OEM poker with the Conestoga wagon mesh. Working on a re-designed burner that should work as KO-5 describes.

Of course, the added side benefit is that the plume of the engine has increased for the viewing enjoyment of everyone, no matter what the weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts