G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking around for a smallish hand held transmitter with 2 knobs and a couple of buttons for throttle, reversing and whistle, etc. ( Or a very small 2 stick type ) Preferably DSMX system as I have some spare receivers. I have seen some from UK and NZ. I would prefer to avoid overseas shipping. Also what different types of servos are folks using?

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I have seen some from UK and NZ.
Hi. I haven't heard of any newer ones for live steam. RCS in Oz is my choice, as they are usable for steam or electrics. https://www.rcs-rc.com/ It works on DSM2, but not DSMX I think.

I haven't bought any servos recently, but I do have some 'whistle' modules from RCS. Electronic whistles sould more real, as the physics of whistles are a problem when you shrink them. The modules plugs in to the receiver on a spare channel.

The UK only has Fosworks to my knowledge, and they do not have FCC certification so they can't (and won't) sell in the US.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
the range
Hi Tom,
I built a TX using the Deltang DSM2 kit a while ago, and the range wasn't great. The problem with small box TX is that your hand surrounds the antenna, or so David claimed.
Tony at RCS made the box bigger and I see about 30` to 40` with mine. In Jack`s garden in FL that's just enough, also at T&ARR`s track I have no problem..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes,
'The human body does act as a shield to the TX2 core module antenna.
I orient the Tx2 core module in the case such that the antenna is more or less at right angles to the end of the case.,Well out of the way of fingers.
Believe it or not I have never received direct complaints about short range.
For Live steam locos the receiver antenna also needs to be exposed to the atmosphere with metal body locos. Plastic body locos are generally not a problem.

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
134 Posts
Yes,
'The human body does act as a shield to the TX2 core module antenna.
I orient the Tx2 core module in the case such that the antenna is more or less at right angles to the end of the case.,Well out of the way of fingers.
Believe it or not I have never received direct complaints about short range.
For Live steam locos the receiver antenna also needs to be exposed to the atmosphere with metal body locos. Plastic body locos are generally not a problem.
Tony,
Is it possible to add a little 5cm antenna to the top of your tx? Or even just an external wire similar to what's on your rx? Just enough to get above fingers without whipping your face while in a shirt pocket?

I haven't had any range issues on my indoor layout yet. But I'm close to finishing my outdoor layout that's 12 x 26 meters. I'll be sure to test the range once I can run outside. I do make sure the Rx antenna is visible in the cab window of my Ruby when I run.

As to form factor, I love Tony's hand pieces over any other. The only change I might make is a lower profile knob. Same diameter as his big ones, but only half the hight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you ever go track powered DCC, the Zimo system works for well over 150 feet and the receiver is in my cellar just under ground level/below the top of the cement wall. Title was remote control transmitters and receivers!!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Tony,
Is it possible to add a little 5cm antenna to the top of your tx? Or even just an external wire similar to what's on your rx? Just enough to get above fingers without whipping your face while in a shirt pocket?

I haven't had any range issues on my indoor layout yet. But I'm close to finishing my outdoor layout that's 12 x 26 meters. I'll be sure to test the range once I can run outside. I do make sure the Rx antenna is visible in the cab window of my Ruby when I run.

As to form factor, I love Tony's hand pieces over any other. The only change I might make is a lower profile knob. Same diameter as his big ones, but only half the hight.
I use Tony's transmitters on a live steam layout that is similar in size to yours. Works fine. I tested the range and got to about 150 feet before things got a bit random.

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as I know every Deltang based Tx handpiece uses the same Tx2 core module they have been using since they were first devised.
I get mine from Andy Rutter at Micron Electronics in the UK.
Andy does have plans to re configure the hardware at some stage. Those plans are in abeyance at prsent whilst Andy has been developing the Rx65b combined Rx-ESC. Andy now has the MR603 up and running. My take on the system is kuch simplified and is just now coming to fruition. I will be announcing the SIMPLON versions shortly.

I understand the suggestion of using an extended antenna fitted to the core Tx2 module. Diversity antennas are usually fitted to the Rx's with a special clip on the hardware. As it is only the last little unshielded part (31 mm) that works it should be doable, but a fair bit of experimentation of antenna position might be required to achieve optimum performance. Fitting a diversity antenna is not as simple as it sounds.

In the meant time, to be fair to Deltang they do not claim to have super good range. I spent quite a long time before I ended up with what an RCS made handpiece can now achieve. As explained above.

One day we will get there.

OH!! and BTW. Whilst DCC radios claim to have good range when used for the purpose they were designed for, I know of NONE that are actually offered for use with Live Steam locos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts