G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had commented in another thread (don't remember which one) that it appeared that the 'Quick Reply' had a limit on the size of the response.

That may or may not be true, but I have also noticed that if I take too long writing the 'Quick Reply' and someone else replies in the mean time, my reply disappears.  Maybe that is the cause of long replies disappearing, it just takes so long to type that somebody else updates the linked list of replies and the one I am writing cannot be accomodated when one from someone else has taken its place (just speculation on my part).

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Charles:

Thanks. Interesting "speculation". Last night, I had a fairly long "Quick Reply" post disappear when the "Submit" button was pushed. That was happening every time when I was using Safari, but has only happened that one time since (at Shad's recommendation) I started using Firefox. Better, but still a problem.

I also was thinking the problem could be the post length, but I posted a really long "Quick Reply" (via Firefox) late this afternoon and it worked. I also took quite a while to write and edit it, so don't really think it is time related.

You might be on to something with the idea that it fails when there is another post made in between. Not absolutely certain, but I think there was a new reply posted during the time I was writing the one that disappeared. I'm certain there was no new reply ahead of todays successful "Quick Reply".

We're supposed to be reporting problems like this on the "Feedback" page, but there are over 50 reports since the system was started, with only 1 "Resolved" with a second one not needing any action. I think I'll let the waters calm a little and get some better details of behavior before declaring on this one. I am making a point of copying the new text and pasting it in Word before pushing "Submit". That way I can always retrieve what I wrote without recreating it.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since this topic is not very active right now I am typing a "Quick Reply" to see if a long missive with lots of words/characters will disappear when I hit submit. I, too, am ATTEMPTING to remember to copy the text from the input box to the clipboard BEFORE I click the submit button so that IF it gets lost I don't have to type it again. I don't try to paste it anywhere, (YET!) as I figure the clipboard text will not be overwritten between the time I post it and then recognize that it has been lost. I can then just paste it in the Quick Reply box and click Submit again.

The biggest problem with that method is REMEMBERING to do so. I have been BIT several times already and still have not been hurt bad enough to have learned the lesson such that I actually do the copy to the clip board.

Sorry for begin wordy here, I am just trying to overfill the text box to see of a long reply is the problem or not. Well, the scroll bar to the side is showing now so I guess I will hit Submit.... though I must say that I refuse to "Submit" to anyone... hmmm... wonder what word would be more apropos to use instead of "Submit"... "Transmit", "Send", "Provide"??? My thesaurus doesn't even list "Submit" as a word! It has "Submission" and "Submissive" and "Submit to arbitration". Ah, I know, "Publish". That is better. But this is all off-topic and of no particular value here. Just taking space and time to see if this missive will be lost due to length or time of typing (or if maybe somebody will jump in ahead of me.

I'll also copy this to the clipboard just to be safe! :)

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have two copies of this thread open showing my last reply (the AH HA! one) and I will "Publish" this Quick Reply first and then go type a reply in the other one and "Publish" it to see if it gets "lost".

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I just tried to post in the beginner forum using "Quick Reply". Platform is:

Mac G4 PowerBook
OS X version 10.4.9
Firefox version 2.0.0.11

First time it didn't post, just cycling around to the open thread. I did notice two new messages that weren't there when I started writing. After waiting a while, I used the back arrow and it returned to my typed message. I then tried the "Submit" button again, but the post never showed up.

Since I had copied the reply text I had created, I then tried to post via the regular "Reply" box, but the SW wouldn't even let me paste anything into the reply message box. I finally exited the thread, renewed the browser page and used paste in "Reply" again. Successful this time.

IMHO this behavior does seem to have something to do with whether there are other posts between starting to write a "Quick Reply" and posting that reply.

BTW, Shad wrote this morning that he is aware of these reports and is looking at what can be done.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Yes, and that particular reply did use a quote too, however, we don't know from which method it was posted (i.e. Quick Reply, Add a Reply, or Reply icon in message header). Nor do we know if some combination of UBB/BBC & HTML were used, all of which could cause any kind of malfunction.

I did notice Dwight, in quoting your reply where you posted the table that when you quote a reply using the Quote icon the message's header the system uses nested class objects (i.e. NTForums_Quote) within nested < div > tags.

In playing around with using the UBB quote tags that everybody is used to using, placement is important. It's going to be hard to duplicate the problem, but it's fun trying. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Hi Steve - I'll probably try other options in the Mods forum as time permits and see what I can come up with. It is undoubtedly going to be hard to duplicate - the worst kind of problem and the hardest to track down. hehehe In the words of Capt. James T. Kirk, "...but it's a mystery, and I hate mysteries! They give me a bellyache, and I've got a beauty right now!" ;)

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I fail to see the problem. Simply use the "reply" or "quote" function on the upper right of whatever post to which you are responding. It seems to work well everytime and provides all the editing functions as well. It seems to me that a "quick reply" means what it says it means.

--RS

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only problem with the Reply or Quote functions is the length of time required to setup the screen so you can type the reply. It is not usually all that long and does give you time to think a bit about what you are going to say; but if all you want to say is "Hey, that is great." or "What kind if a dork are you?" then the quick reply is just plain easier and faster to use the Quick Reply ability... of course if just making a nasty comment maybe I need the time required to load the reply page to think it over a bit (that has been advantageous in the past).

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 01/22/2008 12:20 PM
I fail to see the problem. Simply use the "reply" or "quote" function on the upper right of whatever post to which you are responding. It seems to work well everytime and provides all the editing functions as well. It seems to me that a "quick reply" means what it says it means.

--RS
Tks for show where that darn Quote button was.. I been looking for it in the replay tools.   
I been just high lighting it for a quote and copy and pasting it in replies boxs and add light gray back gound.. boy dumb  dumb.. We learning and tks for showing the quote location./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif Old guy here. 

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By noelw on 01/22/2008 2:22 PM

Tks for show where that darn Quote button was.. I been looking for it in the replay tools.   
I been just high lighting it for a quote and copy and pasting it in replies boxs and add light gray back gound.. boy dumb  dumb.. We learning and tks for showing the quote location./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif Old guy here. 
Hey, pleased I could be of service.

My regards,

--Ron

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
And now we have this brand new "add reply" button on the lower left that really simplies the use of this forum. Good work, Shad!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Let me correct that: the all-new "add reply" button appears on both the top and bottom on the left-hand side. Can't miss it now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts