G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen double stacked containers on a spine car. Well cars, yes as is obvious. Spine cars are for single COFC or TOFC only. They are too unstable for a higher center of gravity as with a double stacker. BTW, spine cars used to be known as " Fuel Foilers" when they came out on the AT&SF back in the day. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
They are still used daily as far as I know. They are no longer used in 10 car configurations though. They are in odd numbers from 1-5 sections per car. The 10 packers or fuel foilers had a problem derailing with anything heavy behind them. I remember back in the 80's, a train coming towards L.A. on the old ATSF Second District in Highland Park, CA had some double stacks behing some 10 packers. The articulated trucks of one of the 10 packers didn't articulate properly and the whole mess ended up in someones back yard, one car hitting an apartment building. From then on, the ATSF always ran double stacks ahead of 10 packers. And woe be the Trainmaster who let a train get out of town with 10 packers ahead of double stackers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.