G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, did you receive a questionnaire about new products from Accucraft?
What were your choices if you would like to share?
I was thrilled to see the Uintah Mallet!
But where are the WSL Shays?
Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Zubi, I did see that and my choice for 1:20 scale would be the RGS #20 4-6-0 and I indicated I would like some 1:32 French steam in the 230G or the 141TA but I won't hold my breath for the French loco's but I think the RGS loco would get enough demand. The Unitah Mallet would be big loco but a high price as most articulated are so maybe a "want" for people but no funds so real demand low. What do you think?
Russell

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Russell,
RGS 20 is definitely a nice locomotive and I think that it should be made someday.
But there are already many other similar locomotives produced so I did not indicate it as my priority.
The Uintah would be more in the league of the NGG16 Garratt which sold pretty well at the time it was released and re-released two times (in total it was produced three times).
So I think that it would be good to make it while there is still some market for live steam narrow gauge.
Probably not more than 100 would sell, maybe only 50. But I personally would like to see one produced, along with the WSL Shays. Well, at least one number 12 which is my favorite. I think it was also Cliff's favorite. Cliff was the main advocate for the release of the WSL Shays.
I think these two different locomotives (the Uintah and the Shay) would be a 'statement' that Accucraft could still make before the world will go totally around the bend...
Best wishes from Tokyo insanely preparing for the 'bubble' olympic games;-), Zubi
PS I cannot comment on 1:32 since I have 0 interest in it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I put in a suggestion for a nice Class A Climax with 2 speed gearbox as prototypical along with more rolling stock for the logging line in 1:20.3. Lots of room for them to grow the logging line up still along with narrow gauge in general. The Unitah Mallet or WSL 3 truck Shays(with proper Stephenson valve gear) would be in rarified air territory $$ wise. But would make a statement. I could see the WSL Shays being released as an Aster model and the Mallet as Accucraft. Mike

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes Zubi, the Uintah Mallet would be a "statement" from Accucraft and WSL shays should sell well but I am not that interested personally. On reflection I should have asked for the Australian 'puffing billy' 2-6-0 0-6-2 Garratt G42 to go with my Baldwin Na class 'puffing billy' engine that also should do a second run as demand here in Australia is high for more. The G42 Garratt should also be a great 'statement' as you put it and all those people out there who have the Accucraft Na would dig deep to purchase G42.
Re my 1:32 scale request for French loco's, I know that request should probably be directed to the Aster connection of Accucraft but it doesn't hurt to let them know.
Anyway always interesting to hear from people what their next "wish list" purchase should be.
Russell

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russell, I agree that G42 would be nice, but that should be directed by Argyle. I actually asked for a reissue of the NA's since I did not buy any from the first run. The question is how likely it all is? Accucraft is clearly testing the waters and asking for advice, which they have not done before. All the 'foreign' stuff was commissioned by their international importers while the US stuff was subject to various 'factors' some with an interesting history. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi PS other than locos, I am actually surprised why there have not been more brass cabooses, such as EBT or a different WSL, while D&RGW cabooses were heavily overproduced, it is all a bit of a mystery...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, Class A Climax is an interesting albeit somewhat unusual suggestion, all Accucraft logging locomotives sold quite well. The more complex, the better it sold it seems - think the WSL Heisler, which I wish I had bought when it was still around. I think WSL 3-truck Shay would not be difficult to sell either, obviously, with proper valve gear. Perhaps it is the last moment to produce these 'statement' locomotives such as the Uintah Mallet and the WSL Shays before the costs of producing in China will skyrocket and make the entire business infeasible... Zubi

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I agree that G42 would be nice, but that should be directed by Argyle.
Yes, I think the questionnaire was directed by Accucraft USA at the US audience. I'm not sure where I saw it (Facebook? Livesteamstation?) but I recall the choice of prototypes were all US and also that Mr. Bing Jr. commented on the poll.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I am more concerned how long their business model will remain viable, at least to the larger portion of us that are the more typical income level and not of the deep wallet level. The quickly rising costs of production and the raw materials will eventually put the prices well north of making models that sell at prices that appeal to a larger portion of the modeling community.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am more concerned how long their business model will remain viable, at least to the larger portion of us that are the more typical income level and not of the deep wallet level. The quickly rising costs of production and the raw materials will eventually put the prices well north of making models that sell at prices that appeal to a larger portion of the modeling community.
Accucraft annouced the GP60 as a preorder, any news on that? If they are going towards low cost diesels - how about an SD9?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Last I heard the GP60s were on the water on their way to the states and caught in that backlog of containers out west trying to get unloaded from the ship. I would love and SD9, dont hold your breath.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes. Out of the suggested I indicated RGS #20 but frankly not a big favourite. Uintah mallet would be interesting but yes, way expensive. WSL three truck shay (and yes #12 suggested) would be interesting. Other suggestions were SPNG #18 which was on a list long ago along with the C-18. I like the whaleback tenders and the valve gear more interesting. Seeing her steam in Colorado for a bit was a treat. I put down another favourite but doubt it would even get a second look at that is RGS #74 which moved from the C&S and from the CNW. Big boiler low drivered connie with again outside valve gear and those crazy inclined cylinders just made it rather unique (too bad it never came back to life). My final suggestion was bring back the Mason Bogie but as the slightly larger 'modernized' versions. Had two of these and great little steamers and beautiful to watch, but that fancy Victorian as delivered paint jobs just did not fit with most of the later rolling stock.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lorna, I forgot about my long time favourite RGS 74, I saw her plinthed in Boulder. And you are absolutely right about 'modern' look Mason Bogie, or two. It was discussed at the time of Mason Bogie project but would require some more tooling. Whaleback tenders of SPNG look great, I like them too, I did not remember that SPNG 18 was once on a list of future releases. Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi

·
Registered
31 Posts
I for one would love to see C&S/RGS 74, and models of her sister engines 75 & 76 (31 & 32). In my very, very humble opinion those three engines, along with the larger #33, are unique insofar as being piston valve equipped and powerful at a time when most other 2-8-0s were still essentially the same as they were in the early 1880s.

I would like to springboard off of this as well:

I understand that the forthcoming “Mabel” and C-18 will be offered in kit form, which I like very much (I’ve always been the type to build more than run trains), and this option does reduce the price I pay which makes me more inclined to buy, because again, the labor I invest is part of the fun for me. I am curious to know who on here would be in favor of more kits? Perhaps some rolling stock that comes in the form of an unpainted boxcar shell and a bag of parts.

Could Accucraft use a “budget” line? I know this goes against their museum quality pedigree, but they’ve already ventured away from that with the Ruby and other variations. Personally, I would like to see a generic Baldwin 2-8-0 that is detailed, but not quite finished, one that does not represent any single locomotive. I think something even as basic as a boiler and frame, buyer builds the rest type of model.

Sean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts