G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…..so define high haulage. But as Greg said, finding anything will be difficult. Decent rechargeable batteries alone could cost $50-75. Look on eBay for used but buyer beware of what you get and it’s condition.

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
Unfortunately you are looking for a super deal, where someone is not aware of value, if you are to get something.

To have a little fun at your expense, but the real intention is to educate you:

Battery powered high haulage.

First there's no high haulage battery powered locos available new, no one manufacturers one..

So you need to buy a used loco that has been modified for battery.

High haulage I will interpret to mean can pull a number of cars... that term really means nothing in the hobby, so I would suggest a more recognized term.

Let's continue with "pulling power", high pulling power. So compared to other locos, this lets out the 0-4-0 and other small steamers. In diesels, this would be something like a 2 truck road diesel, a GP7, or an F series loco.

Now larger diesels and steamers would also need "more" battery, more load, more battery.

Also you need a remote control systm, so USED in good shape, $400 would be a killer deal. $600 more likely.

And in the used market, there is a lot of junk that is sold as nearly new, light use, only on the mantle for display.

I'd like to make a suggestion.... determine the loco you want, then ask people on the forum if it will
  • negotiate the curves you will have
  • has a good drivetrain
  • parts are available
  • any special or unique issues
  • etc.
this is a great resource, make a goal and try to work towards it.

If you are really tight on budget, battery power is NOT the cheapest, used brass track, soldered jumpers between sections, pure DC locos is the least expensive, and also least per loco.

Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell me this then: What is the pulling power of a Battery Powered/Radio Controlled Bachmann Big Hauler? Roughly how many of the ubiquitous LGB 4021 2-axle Gondolas can this locomotive haul? Furthermore can it easily negotiate the standard LGB R1 1000 curved track?

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
What is the pulling power of a Battery Powered/Radio Controlled Bachmann Big Hauler?
Yes it will do R1. Looks a bit odd but it goes around.

Not much pulling power from 6 D cells (although there is a cable supplied to connect a rechargeable r/c battery pack instead. If the loco still has it.) I'd guess it will pull at least 4 LGB 4021 gondolas on flat, straight track, though I haven't run mine for 30 years.

The r/c is a bit on/off, though as the loco isn't very fast you will hardly notice.

The problem with it is the plastic driving wheels. They wear out and I doubt you will find replacements these days. The wheel flanges wear even more quickly if you use brass track.

George Schreyers 'Technical Tips' has some similar info about these locos. He swapped the driving wheels for metal ones.
Big Haulers Tips

I suppose you could buy 2 or 3 of them and consider them expendable? They seem to sell for around $25-50.

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
All locos can be converted to battery power.

So, cheap, that is tough, you still want what you cannot have... Again, my counsel would be to pick the loco you want, and look for a deal.

Narrow gauge vs. standard, 1:29 or 1:20.3 or 1:24, or 1:22 or 1:32? It's the wild west out there.....

If I was to start out, I think I'd look for a used 2nd run Bachmann K27 which can pull well, but then it will be expensive... the original Bachmann Consolidation (not the new C19 Consolidation) can be found, and the gear that breaks can be found.

Pete gave you the right steer on the plastic wheeled Bachmann, don't go there....

I REALLY think you should follow my advice, find something you like, and set your sights on it. We can help guide you on the bullet items in my post #4.... don't need to keep retyping...

I think you are still in the land of budget cannot work with expectations.

Greg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here are some real world things on eBay.
The K-27. Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 Scale D&RGW K-27 Steam Loco & Tender #455/Box 22899830964 | eBay

A Climax. BACHMANN 85096 G SCALE Bayside Lumber Company #3 - Two-Truck Climax - NEW | eBay

A Shay that recently sold. 1999 Bachmann Spectrum G scale Climax 25 Ton Class "B" -1st Generation 22899811802 | eBay

And on those Shay's, most likely early which had motor/truck issues so they came out with replacement metal trucks that most go with. Another $250. Bachmann 88999 SHAY POWER TRUCKS WITH DIE-CAST POWER BLOCKS–1 PAIR (LARGE SCALE) 22899889993 | eBay

Which is why Greg said what he did. Which is why G scale is having problems with support from manufacturers, just too expensive to step into. So I guess most go with HO. But not nears as impressive in my book.

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
So, I would not pick a geared loco (shay, climax, heisler) as a first loco, they go slow (they are supposed to), they should be good pullers, but more moving parts and more cost to maintain.

get on facebook and look for "g scale swap and shop".... I think there are 3 similarly named groups.

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, cheep locos either don't pull well or don't last long before breaking. It's probably best to save up your money, buy a lgb or Bachmann starter set, and then years down the line buy something that pulls well like a USAT geep or Aristo dash9. Converting track-powered locos to battery is more expensive than just using buying dc locos. This is a hobby that takes YEARS to build up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I hear what y'all are saying. I have just been trying to find a good way to use the plastic G scale track I have lying around. If I were to set a goal for myself for my first "real" G-scale Locomotive it would be the LGB 2017d (with power tender included of course). Was that locomotive ever in a set with track? If not, recommendations on getting metal track for cheap? Best places to find this specific locomotive on the LESS expensive side?

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
Stainz with a powered tender is a common first loco, Stainz were sold in sets, but not sure the sets had a powered tender. No reason to buy a set, as recommended buy used, track and loco... also the stock LGB power supply is really wimpy, and if you want to pull a lot of cars, it will overload. It can barely run the loco by itself, therefore the advantage of a "set" is minimal. Also, the set comes with R1 curves, which you do not want to use unless it is a last resort, R1 curves are a 4 foot circle and very few USA outline locos will run on it, and none run well. Strive for 10 foot diameter curves if you can, you will thank me.

Greg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Even all metal track does not connect. Hollow track is unique as is all plastic track. Exception is the LGB plastic adapter for plastic playmobil track. Many playmobil sets came with LGB brass track and track powered locos.

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
Yeah, the Bachmann steel track is tubular and has pins in it, similar to the old Lionel track.

Plastic track varies by manufacturer, no standard.

I think Lionel had some hollow brass G scale track.

Then once you go to different codes (height in thousandths of an inch) it really spreads out, and of course even in code 332, there are variations in cross section that need to be recognized.

Greg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts