G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Quantum Aristo Sound Decoder mentions an addon for additional lighting.

"An alternate design of the Quantum Aristo that includes additional lighting options. Besides the default operation of Headlight and Reverse Lights, a separate plug is available for 10 additional lamp drivers including 5 settable voltage outputs using software controlled PWM and five binary toggled (on/off) drivers. The total of all drivers must not exceed 500 mA. This allows configurable and variable intensity operation of dimmable Headlight and Reverse lights, Overhead Blinking lights, Mars Lights, Ditch Lights, and on/off operation of other lights such as Marker Lights, Cab Lights, Number Board Lights, Step Lights, Truck Lights, and Engine Room Lights."

Anyone got one of these?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Hi guys. I'm doing some testing/evaluation for Tony.

The plug in aux lighting board is planned, but will not be out for a few months. QSI Solutions has a lot going on right now, with an HO decoder coming out. The board is definitely planned and going to be soon. Also, the board will most likely have a relay in addition to the lighting outputs. I also expect that the power rating will probably be higher. The rating (non inductive) for the lights on the current board is 1 amp max, although you need to derate for some incandescent bulbs, due to their "cold" inrush current values.

I've been very happy with my Aristo QSI's and while I cannot share exactly what I have been evaluating, exciting stuff is coming soon.

My best guess is March or April, but this is just an educated guess.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes this sounds like some really good stuff comming down the road.  The 4 QSI boards I have in my AC locos are the greatest.  Can't wait for the new system for the USAT locos.  Later RJD

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Mike,

The DCC QSI decoder was designed to go in the Aristo-Craft "P-n-P" socket..  It has for inputs ( track, 2 sets ) & outputs ( motor/headlite/tailllite )..  There are no other lite connections in the socket..  Hope this helps..

BulletBob 

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/24/2008 10:39 PM

QSI Solutions has a lot going on right now, with an HO decoder coming out. The board is definitely planned and going to be soon.

Regards, Greg

About the HO decoder.

Will it have sound?
Will it have a GWire interface?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Ask Tony about the HO unit... I only have Z scale and G... too busy to keep up to date on any more scales!

I believe the HO unit will be identical in functions, I would be surprised at the GWire interface, but go to the source.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Chaps
:D       A question from your homelands . I am now the owner of  18 QSI  boards and have fitted them into all my Aristo locomotives and using the Magnum board into my USA trains locos.  I am however nonplussed that I cannot make all the functions work.  How do I wire the ditch lights to flash and where do I connect the smoke unit to there seems to be a shortage of connections and instructions ?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
The add-on light board is not available yet, see the 3rd post in this thread.

The current programmer software references the lighting "ports" but, as you said, they are not on the board.

Pretty soon now, but I'd contact Tony at QSI Solutions / Tony's Trains to get the current estimate.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I just recieved a couple of the QSI sound decoders, they were for Aristo Dash-9's. The install is like a dream come true. From the top of the loco it is six easy screws to remove the switch board, remove the jumper plug, line up the pins to the socket, and push it in, plug in the speaker plug, replace the switch board, reinstall the 6 screws and its done. Hooked it up to a Digitrax system and every fuction worked on address 3. This type of plug and play is what DCC users have been waiting for in a modern loco.
But.... I was unable to get the address changed, I normally use the loco's road # for the address, but did not get it done thru the Digitrax. I see in other threads the QSI Programer may be the way to go if you can get it to connect. I hope to see other manfactures to go this route.
Another suprise was that all of the Dash-9's lights worked. Not DCC control of them but the cab lights, step lights, porch lights, and dich lights all come on. The head light dims in reverse and visa versa.
I also thought the sound quility is very good. The part I did not like was no automatic bell, crossing horn at a set speed, and again no bell at near stop. I like the way Phoinex does these sounds, at start moving and slowing to a stop.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Mike, I change the address of my QSI's all the time, and no problem. I am using the QSI and programming on the main...

You talk about setting the address, so you must be running DCC. Why would you want automatic and "no brains" bell if you have a pushbutton on your DCC controller? Just curious.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Mike,

I have the Quantum Programmer and an NCE system. Even though my computer seemed to be "talking" to the Quantum Programmer and locomotive, I could not get 3 changed to the locomotive number with the Quantum Prgrammer. Ditto with the NCE programming track. I finally used programming on the main to make the address and other changes that I wanted for three different locomotives.

Bert

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Really sounds like you are going about it wrong. Now I am making the assumption the address you wanted was a 4 digit address. That makes it a "long" address. Short addresses are 2 digits, and the default decoder setup is short address 3.

So, if you are doing this, there are 2 steps, one is setting the long address in the decoder, and the second is telling the decoder to use it. Doing only one step is not going to do it. Setting a new long address leaves the short address 3 untouched. Also merely setting the long address does not make it the "active" address in the decoder.

In the NCE you do these 2 steps separately.

Could this be your guys' problem?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Greg As far as the automatic sounds. We are planning on automating our DCC layout with Bit Switch, we use it for a demo to show coustomers. We will be running 6 trains at a time. My wife and I have the problem of getting talking and not paying enough attention and pretty soon we have a problem. We will have the option to flip a switch to go manual operation on DCC, or switch to Analog DC, so we will be able to run most anything, even Battery or Live Steam.
As far as the QSI programming, I tried it with a Digitrax System, I always have a problem with programming w/ Digitrax. I have been using JMRI software and do pretty well with it. I think I will order the QSI software, for the best option.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
When I set a long address using NCE's programming on the main, I set CVs 17, 18 and 29. I use an online CV 17 & 18 calculator to determine those values and the G wire instructions for CV 29.

Bert

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
So, you hear confirmation of the settings of 17 and 18 by the decoder, they are what you expect, I assume...

what are you setting cv 29 to?
Does the decoder announce 29's setting? I think that is what is happening, it should announce also. Does it?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
The decoder is silent after the CV 17 entry, but after the CV 18 entry it announces the long address. Like many DCC users, I use the locomotive number. Based on the G wire instructions, I am setting CV 29 to 34: 28/128 speed steps; analog mode OFF, normal direction of travel FORWARD; 4 digit address. The decoder announces the value (34). The G wire instructions also give values for REVERSE (35) and for 2 digit FORWARD (2) and REVERSE (3). The key is that for all four values analog mode is OFF.

Bert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts