G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Gah, I knew I shouldn't have looked here. Now I really want to get mine here.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Greg it seems to me that all the features you have described so far are already available in decoders like the Zimo 695 series, and given the new Titan price increase it will likely be selling for about the same price. I was looking at the QSI library and it seems very generic. So there is lots of hype here for the new QSI, but I'm not seeing anything new yet...just them catching up to everyone else. What am I missing?

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Posted By Cougar Rock Rail on 22 Jun 2012 09:21 AM
So there is lots of hype here for the new QSI, but I'm not seeing anything new yet...just them catching up to everyone else. What am I missing?

Keith
The stereo sound of course, Keith....how could you forget?
Heaviest advertised feature for the QSI Titan.

Sorry, just couldn't resist, but every document of the Titan I have ever looked at really emphasizes that.

As to pulsed smoke, for me the ultimate that the other manufacturers need to strive for is the integrated smoke unit by KM-1.
That smoke looks very realistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0iGOSuVvg
Knut

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Ha ha! Yes how could I forget the stereo sound!

I agree the KM1 is the best integration of smoke I've seen so far, with the Massoth pulsed smoke maker next best.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well some of the other decoders may have a lot of the features all ready but they are not PnP which is the best deal in town. So I am waiting in line for these like the rest of you folks. Of course the instructions will be in our favorite language which is English compared to the other folks.

Now that is a very impressive amount of smoke out put for USAT unit.Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Well some of the other decoders may have a lot of the features all ready but they are not PnP which is the best deal in town

I wonder just how plug-and-play these will really be. If you look on their website they are saying for the USA Trains version you have to by some kind of adaptor made by a third party that isn't even finished development yet! So now we're down to Aristo, and most decoders already have a plug for that. So once again there is lots of Polkspeak and little substance.

Keith

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks guys for bringing up competitive products and comparing them to something else, and detracting for the intent, an early review to see what the QSI is capable of.

From the first post:

First of all, I'm reviewing a BETA version of the QSI Titan, so not all the software is finished, and this will be a series of notes of features and operation as I find them.

I would ask people that want to compare the QSI to something else to do so on their own thread, this thread is for information about the QSI Titan, something we have waited a long time.

how about a little respect for the people who want to learn this information early, and maybe also ask questions about the product to help them make informed decisions.

Maybe I'll just update my web site.....

Forums may no longer be a good vehicle for helping others any more.

see my site for further updates.

Greg

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Greg, I think your review of the BETA version of the LS Tsunami is very helpful for those of us that what that information. What I would like information on the Revolution wireless information as soon as someone gets their hands on it (if it's ever released).

Thanks for you insightful information on the long awaited LS Tsunami.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Greg, Great review, looking for when they will be available. Can you post on your web site how you wired the USA smoke unit up and the part# and what engine its from. None of my USA engines smoke like that. Thanks Jack

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Reevha: the long awaited large scale Tsunami is still long awaited, it has never existed except for some OEM products in Bachmann.

As the title says, this is the QSI Titan.

Jack, I have posted a preliminary video on my site: http://www.elmassian.com/trains/dcc.../qsi-titan This is a stock USA smoke unit (the type with the fan, believe it is in all modern units, and the PA for sure). Wiring is simple, there are 2 connectors on the smoke unit... one directly to the heater, and one directly to the fan.

The heater and fan will be connected exactly as shown on the pictorial on that same page.

Right now I was running the heater from a constant 12 volts to experiment with what voltages worked best. The heater output on the QSI can be controlled to effectively set the voltage, it is a PWM (pulse width modulated) output like all the lighting outputs on the QSI... a nice feature since you can accomodate 5 volt lamps without adding resistors, for example.

I'm waiting on some new firmware to continue playing... I will probably also test the Aristo smoke unit, but I like the USA Trains one better, metal reservoir, more rugged and better fan motor, and no modifications required. The Aristo will have to be opened and jumpers soldered to bypass the electronics, and another connector added to separate the smoke and fan. It's a no brainer with the USAT unit.

Greg

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Yep that KM1 looks real nice. But it took a lot of modification to that loco to get those features. If you wanna do that good for you I wont rain on your parade. I am particularly interested in the Titan because it will be readily available in the US.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Posted By jake3404 on 26 Jun 2012 04:14 PM
Yep that KM1 looks real nice. But it took a lot of modification to that loco to get those features.
Sorry, you lost me.
The KM-1 locos come with that dynamic smoke system as standard, ready-to-run out of the box. There are no modifications required.

For years people wanted to buy that smoke unit by itself but KM-1 always refused to sell it separately.
However, that has recently changed and they do offer that smoke unit now as a separate item.

And btw, this doesn't detract from the QSI Titan, one can probably drive that KM-1 smoke unit with the Titan as well as any other smoke unit.

Knut

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'll continue this on another thread in the product reviews section, so for the people interested in the QSI, please don't ask here, I won't answer.

For the KM-1 people, please go ahead and take the thread wherever you want it... just don't complain in the future if you start a "focused" informational thread and someone dilutes it for you too.

Greg

61 - 75 of 75 Posts