G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, All - I just took almost four minutes to install the QSI sound system in one of my five Aristocraft Dash 9 locos. In fact, it took longer to take out the screws than it did to complete the installation.
Since right now I
a. have no track outside - it's all been taken up as I'm about to replace it.
b. have no TE [it's on its way back to Navin to get it fixed]
c. have no means of energising the thing except by a teeny 14V/1.4A L*B switch tower controller...
so the whole thing seems to be doomed from the start.
However, I DO have the aforementioned controller and power unit, and also the excellent Quantum Engineer DC controller...
Switch to up, little red light comes on, and VOILA!!!!!!
SOUND! Enormous SOUND! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif" border=0> x 10
Am I ever impressed.:D" border=0>
Not only by the aristocratic Aristocraft Dash 9, that seems to run on far less than 1A, but also the QSI sound system and the 28 button DC controller.
Kudos to all the makers for making it so easy that even a lunkhead like me can get it working successfully first time out.:)" border=0>
No excuse now for not having sound in your big dismals....as for me, I still have fifteen that need sound...;)" border=0>
Graders to all
tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
Join the club TAC. I'm very happy with mine. Now, I need the USAT plug and play one, and the lighting board add-on.

It's coming.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Greg was refering to, as said a plug and play for the USA. As stated it will be here soon. Not a Quantum Magum. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
Paul the USAT plug and play will replace the original board in the loco completely. Unplug the lights, pickup, and motor connectors, unscrew the board, screw in the new board and reconnect the connectors.

I have 5 prototype boards here at my place.

Regards, Greg

G

·
Greg or RJ,
Has Tony raised the amp ratings on the new boards to handle the more amp hungry locos/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gifi also bought 8 boards late last year and only install 2 so far, they still have a hesatation when starting but not a momentum problem have they fix the software for that yet. and can i send my boards back for upgrading? and what exatly will the super caps do for me if i run only dc power....
Nick

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Super cap is for the Aristo TE. Apparently when you reverse dirrection the TE shuts all the power off to the loco so the sound shuts off. The capacitor supplies electricty to the sound board for 20 seconds or so so the loco continues to make sound while you change directions. or so i am told, I don't have a TE.

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
Yes, the new USAT boards have the oomph to handle more amps. It is a whole new board that fits right where the existing board goes. The hesitation you see on aristo locos is most likely an older firmware version, all my units have the latest firmware and no hesitation.

Regards, Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts