G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I have the same QSI problem with my RS-3. Hope you can help Greg otherwise will try a Lok Sound XL.
Alan

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
The problem is most evident in 2 motor or greater systems.

If you turn off BEMF, it goes away completely.

Regards, Greg

p.s. The -9 sound file is recorded at a lower volume than most, if you re-program the board, kick the volume up on the prime mover.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg, that did it. Smoothed the operation right out. Thanks much. I was on a roll today so I also put one in a Aristo C-16, I love the install 5 minutes you do have to take the Tender shell off. It runs smooth, but backward. I found the reverse button in the program, no problem. So next hook up to my Massoth control all works good until I throtle to zero, the C-16 keeps crawling. Why would it work with the cab under computer control but not the Massoth.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had the problem with a loco continuing to crawl with a QSI decoder as well.

The solution is the same, turn off the BEMF.

QSI still has some work to do to get their BEMF system working properly

BTW, the LokSound V3.5 (HO sized) decoder works VERY well, I am quite pleased with it. I assume that the larger, and significantly more expensive, LokSound XL will work well too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
The Loksound XL is an excellent decoder. I've used it in four different installs and have the programmer which is very powerful. I just wish it was more competitively priced, but perhaps you get what you pay for?

Peter.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Mike, you may still have some momentum set, check CV's 3 and 4... set them both to zero to see if that eliminates what you said. By default the QSI's are set with realistic momentum settings, not toy train instant off and on.

By the way all, the small amount of jerkiness when starting is not noticed by everyone, so let's not blow it up into a mountain. I tried making a video of it, and I could not show it on a video, that's how minor it is.

The surging is a completely different situation and occurs when you have a very low impedence motor, or a freewheeling setup, or lots of slack in the gear train, and can be eliminated with settings.

QSI is working on these issues so the default program will eliminate this and the BEMF can be left on.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Mike, I've done some extensive work on programming this decoder. If you want to play with the PID parameters, I have a "pre-release" firmware that allows setting of all 3, but you can really make the loco run weird... I was making mine emulate a worn engine!

I'll bet you got yours such that the sound can throttle up and down, but the loco does not move... do the full reset, that will clear it.... it seems that it got into the "disconnect" mode you enter by pressing F9 twice.... I've seen this.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Thanks Greg setting 56.4 to 0 sloved jerky starts in my E8, LGB genesis and dash 9. I also set cv 2 to 22 for the LGB and 18 for the aristo. Now they start slow on 1 and run smooth. Will turning off BEMF increase top speed? Sorry about typing errors -droped glasses!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Just curious, but does turning off the BEMF basically disable the Regulated Throttle Control features? RTC is one of the cool features of this unit, and would be ashame if it has to be disabled until a fix...
thanks!
-Ray

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Turning off BEMF should not affect top speed, when it's flat out, should be the same.

RTC = BEMF mode, wording is funny because of "threatened" suit from MTH. MTH never sued, but claimed BEMF for themselves. That situation is apparently past now.

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts