G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Screw terminals were a strong point for "hardwired" connections... most of the reasoning was so that people did not have to solder. I learned to "get my mind right" from TOC.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Mike,

I wouldn't take the Quantum Titan information serious yet.
Some of it doesn't make much sense.

I was just checking on this statement on their web site:
"Due to Titan’s gigantic memory of 64 Mb - 8x more than the competition -......:

I wonder who they consider to be the competition, certainly not the DCC Sound decoders that were picked in the other mls thread.

ESU has 32 Mb of storage
Zimo has 32 Mb of storage
Massoth has the least with 16 Mb of storage
...but in no case is QSI 8 x more than this particular competition.

And Massoth has an XLSpro decoder with 64 Mb of storage, same as what QSI claims
http://www.massoth.de/de/produkte/8xx3100.de.php

Not sure where the English version is, this came up via google.

Anyway, not that a bit more or less of storage will make or break a sound decoder, the weakest link for the sound is still the speaker.
Just one example where the published QSI specs need some more work.

I think the whole purpose of this QSI update was simply to tell the Large Scale community - Hey, we're still in the running, just be a bit more patient.

Knut

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Yep, that is true. From what I understand, and I also need to call in today, got a call last night, that there are 3 classes of sound file, and all will run on the Titan. The newer, "higher resolution" ones are not all rolled out yet, but of course, since the HO version is released, the pressure is there to complete the job on that library. There's also a class that allows the newer Titan features, but has the same "resolution" as the current sound files.

I'm getting "downloaded" today, so I may have to correct some of these statements, but bottom line, the wealth of the American sound files is there.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 23 May 2012 07:22 AM
Yep, that is true. From what I understand, and I also need to call in today, got a call last night, that there are 3 classes of sound file, and all will run on the Titan. The newer, "higher resolution" ones are not all rolled out yet.........
Greg
Greg,

By "higher resolution" I assume you mean a higher sample rate, do you know what the various actual sample rates are that are used by QSI?

Regards,

Knut

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
I will get that information Knut, I have it somewhere... I believe it may be both higher sampling rate and more bits too.

Anyway, most of the more modern units have capability way in excess of the speakers used in general, but it's always nice to know the electronics are not the limiting case.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
QSI must have been taking lessons from Aristo because it seems like most of what they say is Polkspeak--at best they are just catching up to what everyone else can already do. They have done a great job of stringing everyone along though. If Greg, as one of their inside beta testers is just getting final prototypes now (from Greg's statement in the other thread), then don't they have to run the actual production etc? I would think they are still a few months away yet in that case.

Keith

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
In my experience with QSI, once the go button is pushed, they get the product built quickly... the issue is when is the go button actually pushed?

I'll give the best REAL information I can as I get it. The beta unit is not in my hands yet.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Thanks Greg. It's a tough position to be in as a manufacturer--I understand that. You see a similar phenomenon in the r/c plane hobby, where the manufacturers are trying to out-guess and out-promise each other with new products, trying to hook people on them long before they are made. Then as soon as one is actually made the competition rushes to pirate copy them and they all probably end up getting made in the same Chinese factory anyway! What is interesting is that the ones that rely heavily on Chinese production or outsourcing of parts (and hence have the least control) are the worst at keeping deadlines. It's much the same here comparing say Aristo/QSI to Maerklin/LGB. Maerklin has been very good at keeping their production schedule online, up to date, and hitting their deadlines because they control much more of the process in-house.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Tony got dealer prices to us today. Shipping in two weeks. We will list on our store today. An adapter for USA locomotives will follow later. At least 4 different versions. Aristo 2 amperage's, Bachman, and a non plug and play with wire terminals. Sounds like all will ship with small steam loco sound. The computer interface should be popular.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
On the Yahoo QSI forum, Lee Wheelbarger just posted this:

"The HO Titans are available now, and the G Scale in a few weeks. We are working on the sound files now."

Lee has some relationship to QSI that I don't understand. "A few weeks" is not that encouraging, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Lee does not work for QSI Solutions (who distributes the QSI G scale stuff)

Lee does have a relationship with QSI Industries (who design and manufacture the core components) and QSI Solutions (who do the G scale changes and manufacturers the final boards)

Lee does a lot of high end recordings of locos for the QSI sound file library, and also consults on the product.

Lee Wheelbarger = "Loco Lee"

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts