G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Apparently the GWire / AirWire receiver chip has been fixed with a new version (from the chip manufacturer).

I have the new sounds in a few locos they are indeed awesome, and the custom horns and bells wow.

I hope the supply can be refilled soon. The smaller scale guys were killing QSI on the sound file delivery. We do have to keep remembering that the large scale units are not the biggest QSI market.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
TCS just announced a 5-amp version of their WOWSound decoder, due next month. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Titan. The HO installation I heard was pretty cool, but I haven't played with one in depth to see (hear) how it compares with the Titan in a side-by-side comparison. The Q3 files are sweet, so it'll be fun to compare the two.

Following up from my earlier post, I did an installation for my dad using the Titan controlled by the Tam Valley Depot DRS1 Hi-Power receiver as an alternative to the G-wire receiver. It works very well, so if QSI doesn't come through with the updated G-wire receiver, there is now a viable alternative for us battery guys. It should work with the TCS (or any other) DCC decoder as well. Between QSI, TCS, and Sountraxx's new "Econami" which comes in a 4-amp version, we've got some seriously cool new choices available to us. (To say nothing of ESU, Zimo, and Massoth, though their US sound libraries are limited.)

Later,

K

·
Registered
694 Posts
I also hope Titan supply can be returned soon. The new 4 and 5 amp Decoders would work for me in small steam and Thomas stuff, but my modern mainline diesels definitely will need the 10 amp decoders.

Kevin, can we expect a future article reviewing/comparing the decoders?

P.S. Good to hear from you again Greg.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
They are still out there to be had. 5 amps is marginal in most of my locos, I do not have any LGB, and not all Aristo locos "sip power".

I need 8 or 10 amp decoders, especially as Dan has brought up, people often forget to add the lights and smoke units to the total power. I use an amp and a half on my smoke units alone, that significantly eats into the budget of a 4 amp decoder.

Greg

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Really, I also hope QSI can start producing the Titan's again. Reason I say this is over 20+ years ago QSI sound was a big hit in the o gauge world...completely revolutionized that scale. Even Lionel TMCC was a indirect spin-off of QSI as in the early 90's rocker Neil Young worked at QSI. Year or so later he left and teamed up with the owner of Lionel Richard Kughn and those 2 formed LionTech which invented TMCC w/ Railsounds.

Lot of toy train history associated with QSI that I'd hate to see lost.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Greg, you can ease the smoke current load on a decoder by using a circuit to turn on track power via a transistor to the smoke unit and Zimo pulses this signal to give different amounts of current (read smoke). This can be very useful in a small engine with the HO decoder where total current of the MX645 is 1.2 amps. But of course Greg does not have small engines but many of us do.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Right Dan, that will offload the smoke draw, and you could do likewise with the fan, although I believe some decoders could use some kind of braking to the fan between pulses..

Greg does indeed have some small locos: (all DCC with sound)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was thinking about QSI Titan as a decoder but after reading this thread I figure I need to find a reliable product for my steam engines. Only 4 at this time (2 Aristocraft, a LGB (trackcleaner) and a Piko). I know there are Pros and Cons for all the different suppliers but I'm looking for Plug n Play if possible or REALLY install for a beginner. Leaning towards the NCE Power Pro 10 amp system for control.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Ron, your issues with QSI's customer service have been well documented through this thread. Your frustrations are shared by many otherwise-would-be happy QSI customers. You've done all you can do with regard to resolving your issues with the company. While I wish you the best of luck in finding resolution, beating that horse to a bloody pulp here isn't going to solve anything.

I think we're done here.

K

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.