G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Greg have you any news from QSI Solutions about posting some more ET files for large scale and any word on the G Wire receiver's ? as always

Respectfully

Bob V.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Would there be a market for a small booster board that can take the output of an HO or N scale decoder and run 5-10 amps output?

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
The QSI boards are available (at least there seem to be plenty on the hooks at Caboose Hobbies whenever I go in there). So I don't think boosting the output of the HO boards would be necessary.

What would be nice would be an alternative to the G-wire receiver, so those of us who run battery R/C can use the QSI board again. It seems we're not a priority for them. Perhaps something that would take the output of Airwire's "Convertr" board and boost that to at least 5 amps. We could then use that in conjunction not only with the Titan, but any other flavor of large scale decoder.

Later,

K

·
Registered
214 Posts
The QSI boards are available (at least there seem to be plenty on the hooks at Caboose Hobbies whenever I go in there). So I don't think boosting the output of the HO boards would be necessary.

What would be nice would be an alternative to the G-wire receiver, so those of us who run battery R/C can use the QSI board again. It seems we're not a priority for them. Perhaps something that would take the output of Airwire's "Convertr" board and boost that to at least 5 amps. We could then use that in conjunction not only with the Titan, but any other flavor of large scale decoder.

Later,

K
Kevin,

I agree. However with the QSI's port for connecting the G-wire receiver you shouldn't need a mobile DCC booster, just some way of getting the DCC signal into the board. I think we need to reverse engineer what QSI is doing with the G-wire receiver. It shouldn't be that hard. I just ordered all the parts for the cheap Airwire-compatible "DCC" system mentioned in Garden Railways Magazine. If that really works it seems like the cost for a G-wire alternative should be more like $20. I wasn't planning to build this specifically, but maybe I will experiment sometime. I run mostly DCC (through the track) but am interested in alternatives for certain projects and helping friends.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
JP, most HO decoder input voltage specs are less than what large scale users use.

There are exceptions of course and Zimo is one as the MX645 is rated at 35 volts.

So it is not just the current boost that is needed in large scale.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Ben, I was thinking along the same lines as you--to take what was in GR and see if it could be adapted as a generic LS receiver/booster. The G-wire receiver has solder pads so you can "adapt" it for others' DCC decoders, though it's not nearly as straightforward as simply wiring it to the DCC rail inputs. (Wish it were.) If memory serves, there's +5v, Ground, and then two for the DCC signal.

In terms of interfacing with the Titan--which is designed for such an interface--we'd only need to recreate the output of the G-wire. The "trick" to getting the G-wire to interface with other decoders was figuring out where to make the connections on the decoders--hardly cut-and-dry, and it seemed both QSI and the other decoder manufacturers' attitudes towards compatibility was "you figure it out (and it might void the warranty if you guess wrong.)" That's where having a simple 2-wire output comes in handy, and where I think what was in GR has a good deal of potential.

Beddhist, thanks for the link to the Tam Valley receiver. That looks promising. I had heard of their stuff before, but I didn't read anything then about it being Airwire compatible. That's great that it is, even if only on one channel. Now, if TCS would come out with their Wow! decoder for large scale...

Poking around Tam Valley's web site, I noticed they've got a 3A (5A peak) booster which is what I was writing about with respect to boosting the output of the Convertr. Granted, the board is pretty big (3" x 2.5") and the only advantage it would give you over their wireless receiver would be the additional 15 channels the Convertr can handle, but it's a start.

Later,

K

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm brining this back to the top to highlight some things are finally happening at QSI Solutions that I look as positive but still falls short of what is needed.
Issue 1) When is there going to be some new files other than the three that are available for the ET /Q3 . Other than the Alco and EMD files firm dates not promises that come and go .
Issue 2) When are the G wire receivers going to be available. These are key to me as a Large battery guy. No more apologies or any other excuses just accurate info.

As Always Respectfully

Bob V.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
I would post these questions on the QSI forum on Yahoo. I'm too busy to handle all the questions and "upsettedness" and I don't know anyone here on the forum with closer ties to QSI.

Someone WILL answer these questions on the QSI site. Josh never comes to this forum AFAIK, and neither do the QS Industries people.

Greg

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm brining this back to the top to highlight some things are finally happening at QSI Solutions that I look as positive but still falls short of what is needed.
Issue 1) When is there going to be some new files other than the three that are available for the ET /Q3 . Other than the Alco and EMD files firm dates not promises that come and go .
Issue 2) When are the G wire receivers going to be available. These are key to me as a Large battery guy. No more apologies or any other excuses just accurate info.

As Always Respectfully

Bob V.
Bob

I will see Josh this weekend in Springfield and will try to remember to ask him your questions.

Stan

·
Registered
318 Posts
First a disclaimer. I have known Josh a number of years and help him out from time to time. Josh is a good person. I currently do not use much QSI solutions equipment on our layout (I think one decoder and two radio receivers at most) and have no plans on using any more in the future.

QSI Solutions is at the large show in Springfield MA this weekend and as promised I went over and had a discussion with Josh.

1) Josh currently has a working prototype for the replacement radio receiver and hopse to get the product back in the market within three months. That may be a little optimistic but it is definitely coming back on the market. The problem was the original receiver chip was discontinued and the replacement chip had a bug (now fixed)

2) The smaller scale sound files are mostly upgraded and we should start seeing the upgraded large scale sound file appearing on the WWW site within weeks.

3) The plug and play decoder is going through a minor upgrade to add a connector between the top board and the bottom board. This is being done to make future repairs much simpler to perform. This product will be back in the market shortly.

Bottom line. Josh had a lot to do to get this company back on track and the past year was a whole lot of work on his part. That is now mostly behind him and Josh is very optimistic that the next few months should allow him to get all the products back in stock and to complete the sound file upgrades done.

Hope that answers the concerns raised.

Stan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Stan, Thank you for your info. My whole problem with QSI is I have committed both time and money to installing these decoders in quite a few of my locomotives. And now I am in a box because I can neither put decoders in different units because the right sound file has hot been available for months after having been told it would be days. Plus the G wire receiver being unavailable when it was stated on the QSI solutions web site it would be available at the end of summer. Then the total lack of any response for updates or info so I could plan how to continue upgrading the rest of my 35 locomotives. I would like to continue but once burned shame on you twice burned shame on me. Thanks for your time it was appreciated.

As always respectfully

Bob V.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Bob, since the sound files can be downloaded at any time, and without removing from the locos, it seems that this situation is only an annoyance, not stopping you from installing the decoder.

The Gwire receiver is another story though. What a mess, the manufacture obsoleted the chip, then the replacement chip was late, and then it did not work.

It will get done, believe me I need 20 more myself...

Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi Greg, I agree with you I can put a decoder in the locomotive but I'm concerned with investing any more money in a product that it seems I'm not able to put the correct sound file in say a dash-9 and not able to take advantage of the full features of the advance technologies that was the reason I started with QSI.Now I can't use any of the ones I pre-bought because I can't get the receiver I need to continue. You are right in that this is one big cluster ****. I did post on the Yahoo group with no response from anyone. No yelling this time but no response either the same lack of info goes on and on.

As always respectfully

Bob V.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
I hear you Bob, but, and I'm saying this objectively, there is no other LS decoder that has the wealth of sound files already AND is pursuing new ones actively. Your idea of "correct" is pretty stringent too, which of course is your right.

So, in terms of having the right hardware, I believe for as stringent as your requirements are, you have the only choice.

Now, it's really a cluster **** on the Gwire receiver. The good news is once it's working with the new chip, it should be easy to get them in production, since there's really nothing else on that board other than power and frequency selection. I know that may not be comforting until the units are in hand, but it's important to realize.

Josh does not like to get into the fray, and he's very busy making this go, we all have to remember that he also has the HO scale decoders and those guys are 10 times the market we are. If you were in his place, you would have to give them priority also, no choice.

So, sit tight, if I hear anything I'll let you know, but I'm sure it will be announced on the Yahoo forum sooner than anywhere else.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Greg, Do you know if they are going to make the new G-wire 2.4 instead of 900 that was mentioned awhile ago on the yahoo site. This way it will function with the revolution and have greater range. Thanks Jack

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Jack, you have to understand that what is transmitted over the air is proprietary. What the Gwire sends is different from the Revolution, you cannot mix and match.

furthermore, there is NO over the air standard to follow. What Airwire did is basically take the signal on the rails of a DCC system (where there IS a standard), do some minor tweaks, and send that signal over the air.

The Gwire throttle basically did the same thing as the Airwire throttle, but again there is no standard and some things are NOT done the same way, especially the service mode commands, since there is no standard of how to do this over the air.

The Aristo revolution is a completely different animal, in both communication and protocol.. not compatible with anything else.

Greg

·
Registered
318 Posts
Greg, Do you know if they are going to make the new G-wire 2.4 instead of 900 that was mentioned awhile ago on the yahoo site. This way it will function with the revolution and have greater range. Thanks Jack
Jack

In the very early days of DCC Ken Rice discovered that you can send DCC over a 9600 baud serial port using ASCII coding. The resulting signal is a little outside the standard but quite close and well in the range of most decoders.

If you put a scope on the signal that GWIRE and AIRWIRE are sending it is simply the DCC signal at 9600 baud which as Ken noted a little outside the standard but close.

The receiver used in Gwire and Airwire is simply a 9600 baud signal receiver and does nothing to the signal being transmitted. That is why I can use Lenz and other decoders with the GWIRE receiver and why 9600 is the only baud rate that is allowed. It is also why GWire and Airwire are compatible so long as they stay within the standard DCC commands.

If you were to do the same thing at 2.4 the result would not be the standard DCC signal and this trick would not work unless you translated the signal from the receiver to the decoder back to the 9600 baud range (and that would mean more components) or you used a command stream that was not DCC.

Hope that helps

Stan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Brining this back to the top. Seems to be some activity on the sound file completion. Still no news on the Gwire receiver. Any one have any news

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have had correspondence with Josh. I am excited to see he is taking care of things I have changed my mind and I still will stay with QSI decoders.
Need G Wire receivers to start my installs in my large scale fleet. Thank you Josh !!!

Respectfully,

Bob V :)

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.