G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, I truly think QSI has done us large scale enthusiast a great disservice. I feel they have abandoned us and I'm now searching for a decoder for sound and motor control. I like the product but has anyone had a good experience lately getting help and information from them. This is a rant but I'm using this forum to express an opinion and need others to tell me if they have other sound and motor controls they would recommend? I have been In this hobby for 30 plus years and never seen this before. Where a good product has been so poorly supported. I chose this review section to give a bad review on the QSI Titan decoders. Great product poor support. Buyer beware.

Respectfully,

Robert Van Deusen

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Have you been using the QSI forum? Lots of helpful people there.

Josh bought the company and is indeed underwater... I know the history and how things piled up.

I can get my answers from the forum and other helpful people.

Let me know if you are selling any of your decoders.

(edited - mod)

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with QSI. Can't say I'm surprised given their product delivery in the last few years. That being said, I think all decoder manufacturers are guilty of announcing new products and delivering ages later.
When it comes to support, in my experience Zimo has been the best with Massoth a close second. I choose between those two depending on who has the best sound for a given locomotive. In the past they have focussed more on European sounds but both are bringing out new N/A sounds all the time. ESU is another option but I have no experience with them--others really like them.

Keith

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Allow me to be the exception here (?).

In the past year or two I've added sound and/or motor control to a total of six locomotives. My A/Cs with plug n play got QSI Titans, the USATs got NCE 408s plus Phoenix sound cards. There were a few "bumps" along the way, sometimes because of my modest understanding of contemporary electronics. A few of the emails were understandably slow, but for the most part I feel I was well treated. Defective boards were exchanged, problems got helpful advice.

The information and opinions I find on this and other fora (plural of forum) are useful or not. In the end, I make my choices and I end up with a pretty good hobby. In this case, a very loud hobby.

JackM

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Gentlemen, we can criticize a product all we want. What we cannot do here is criticize each other. Please keep that in mind.

Also, please note that--like QSI--we moderators often have other irons in the fire, especially on the weekends. We may not get to things as quickly as you would like. A little patience goes a long way.

Later,

K

·
Banned
92 Posts
QSI Support and products have been nothing but AAA++++ to me to this day Unlike Aristocraft, Next Generation and Crest which got caught sticking there foots in their mouths and are no longer in G scale along with no MTH to this day in G, No surprise their. :p:(:eek:
AML and USA Trains and QSI seem to be the future of Large scale.

Boo Boo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got this on August 12,2014. When I inquired about a Adapt-A-Board

Bob,

We have held up production of the Adapt-A-Board temporarily. There have been issues with product availability and communication with QSI. We will resume the release of new products when I am confident things are stable with QSI.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Gary Paulino
TRAINTEK, LLC
Model Train Control Professionals

Plus no G Wire receiver until who knows when
Plus three count them three usable sound file for the Titan Emulator

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
It's funny, I seem to remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I've had issues getting information from Gary myself, but I won't bash him since he is a small company also and trying to get ahead (although I surely don't get why QSI communication is needed, since the QSI uses the standard Aristo pinout and the Traintek board only uses the power, track, and a few light outputs, and you have to change all your lights to his new LED boards).

All these "G scale only" guys are not flush with cash and have big companies.

Yes, the ET files are only a few, but they have multiple motors, bells, whistles, chuffs in them. Kevin can vouch for this if you don't believe me.

Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My intent was to bash no one. I have used Gary's boards for all my USA trains with QSI. My point is a vender was having trouble getting answers from QSI so much so that he stopped production on his product. Who loses here is the large scale user who now can't get another component to aid in using a decoder that has huge potential. Again no bashing of Train Tech was implied or intended .

Respectfully,

Bob V.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Respectfully, that reasoning from Gary is BS.

Again, the Titan uses the standard Aristo pinouts, which have been defined for years.

Gary does not interface to the USAT lighting, but supplies boards of his own manufacture that replace the lights in the locos.

His boards are quite simple, in fact they take away some features like switches for lights, motors, smoke, etc.

So, please tell me logically what from QSI could be holding Gary up?

By the way, if QSI said that TrainTek was holding them up, I would ask this too.

I've been a bit involved with BOTH companies, and this is NOT a QSI problem as far as I can figure from the facts.

Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If what you say is true why can't QSI respond to it's user and explain why there is such a problem and state on there own website or there own group and give a truthful timeline and stick to that timeline instead of continuing the same practice as the former owner. In my case I was told every time a sound file was completed and it would be days for it to be posted , days turn into weeks etc. Just an update would have been not only helpful but reassuring that the product was and will be supported. I have a substantial investment in decoders, programmer and receivers. The steam file is done but no user manual is available. I've seen post asking if the tech. support had gone to Mars or somewhere else. As to Train Tek I would commend his business savvy for not wanting to invest his time and money producing a product that relies on a component that seems to be lost in space. Again I have not appointed myself a watch dog only telling other users of the pitfall I have found myself in using a particular product. My opinion is my own. I have no connection as a consultant or any other bias . My motive is to support a hobby I love and help fellow large scale users to avoid problems just as I have used this forum to do the same.

Respectfully,

Bob V.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
What I said was true, but it had nothing to do with the sparse phone support, which I do agree is sparse.

Many of the delays are beyond Josh's control, take the "garden wire" receivers, which were expensive chips, then they (the IC manufacturer) stopped production before the new integrated circuit was available, then the first production batch burned themselves out... Josh had nothing to do with their manufacturing strategy nor the defective design, but he's slammed for it.

Yes, there is not enough phone support and not enough email support, and you really have to depend on the QSI forum, not great things, but it was tough when Tony Parisi carried it and supported a lot of QSI Solutions with his train store and internet business.

Josh only does this small segment.

I've been waiting for sound files too, but who else is giving quality sound files for free and is really aggressively getting new ones? no one.

Not saying things could not be better, but who else has done such a radical move forward in technology? The other sound systems are pretty low tech comparatively, the European ones are handling sound files the way they did 10 years ago.

not making excuses, but there are indeed mitigating circumstances.

On TrainTek, you might ask what he relies on QSI for? I gave you a set of facts on how I cannot understand on how he relies on QSI or how they could hold him up.

See if you can get a factual, detailed answer. Until I get some factual information that makes sense, I again call BS on that.

Since the socket is the universal Aristo Socket, then there are several other manufacturer's decoders that fit his product also, so why is his problem unique to QSI?

I understand you are upset, and feel that you have been promised stuff that has not appeared... but this is basically universal in large scale, i.e. not unusual.

Supporting the hobby should also include trying to work with these guys as they try to make a living... patience is what I have to practice... I waited 6 years on promises of a large scale decoder from SoundTraxx... never really happened, they do make a poor OEM large scale one, but nothing like it should be, and OEM only, and nothing near the capability of the competition.

But, it is true that it's hard to get the owner of the company to respond, I know how swamped he is, so I go to the forum. I found an alternative.

Greg

p.s. my connection as a consultant does not immediately make me a liar or untruthful... anyone who REALLY knows me is that I never lie, and refuse to compromise my integrity... and people have INDEED tried to "buy me out"...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
My question would be where are the decoders. If QSI doesent responds to phone calls from venders we are out and I for one cannot get what I need from one of my venders. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
If QSI can't deliver, either with product or support, why not just buy a DCC decoder from another manufacturer?
That was the whole point of DCC in the first place - not being dependant on one manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
As much as I hate to say it but I have to agree with the OP.

I have also been unable to contact Josh for over 6 months about a customers board I sent in for repairs. I have tried numerous phone calls and emails with no response.

Support is non existent at this time and its a real shame because they are good boards and the sound files are second to none.

What makes this lack of contact even more distressing is that the QSI warranty has now been reduced from 2 years to 90 days.

Ron

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
That's Great for you, but does me and it appears lots of other people no good at all.

One shouldn't have to beg for support when it was paid for at the time of purchase of said product, albeit for only 90 days now instead of the 2 years it used to be.

Ron

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.